Swiss Travel Pass to Como, Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 14:18:27 #816074

My husband and I have a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass, and on our last day we will be traveling to Como from Morschach (Swiss Holiday Park). It looks like the pass will not cover the last leg of the trip, from Chiasso to Como. I read somewhere that you can purchase the ticket for that last leg and not have to actually get off the train (if the route allows) but I’m not honestly not sure what the route looks like (this will be my first time in Switzerland!) Does anyone have a recommendation for the best way to go about this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:23:25 #885697

Hi AKapp and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find the route options using the Swiss railways timetable. Search Morschach to Como. Many trips will require a change in Chiasso in the end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 17:36:44 #885698

Thanks Lucas! I have looked up the trip and the route – and most do pas s through Chiasso. Do you think my best option would be to get off the train at Chiasso to get a ticket onward for the last leg to Como?

On a similar note, we will be doing quite a bit of train rides during our time in Switzerland. We begin in Zurich for 1 night, then to Morschach for 2 nights, then on to Como. And within that timeframe we want to take advantage of our travel pass to do a lot of day-trips and sightseeing. I’m a little nervous, because I don’t know much about the transportation systems or how to get around! Is it fairly simple to navigate? And, will we have any issues going from place to place with luggage?

I did download the SBB mobile app, and I think that will be a huge help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:28:35 #885699

If you have a long connection time in Chiasso sure – but if it is a short connection or your train continues on to Como then it would be a waste of time. You can buy tickets online here if you like.

The transportation here runs quite smoothly and very efficiently. You can count on the scheduled departure and arrival times. The SBB app and website timetable are updated constantly for any live changes. Connection times of 5-6 minutes are common (IE designed to be doable…the smaller the station the shorter the connection times because you are often only walking across a platform for example).

Let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 1:43:28 #885700

>> I’m a little nervous, because I don’t know much about the transportation systems or how to get around!

At Morschach, your nearest transport is a low-floor bus (#4), which will take you to Brunnen Bahnhof (railway station) in 7-9 minutes, from where you can access the rail network. Before reaching the railway station, this bus also stops near the wharf at Brunnen, from where you can take boats on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne), in the directon of Luzern or Flüelen. This bus is covered by your Swiss Travel Pass.

You might find this information useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

>> Is it fairly simple to navigate? And, will we have any issues going from place to place with luggage?

Yes, the system is very easy to navigate, and staff are very helpful. First-time visitors often remark how surprised they were to discover how easy it is to travel in Switzerland. It would be nice to hear from you after your trip to get your impressions of what it was like to use the Swiss Transport System 🙂

There is room to store your luggage on trains, either on racks, or between seats in the carriage. On long-distance buses, your luggage goes in the luggage compartment under the bus, but on the local bus between Brunnen and Morschach, you will probably take your luggage with you inside the bus. As the bus has a low-floor, getting your luggage onto the bus won’t be difficult.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 15:03:06 #885701

Thank you so much for the information! This is all very helpful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 23:35:38 #885702

Ok, I have been looking at the routes and options. I don’ t yet have a specific time we will be departing Morschach, but probably mid-morning. The route is showing 2 changes, and is just under a 3-hour journey. From what most routes show, we do not get off the train at the Chiasso stop, we just continue on our journey to Como. So, in that case, I will not have time to get off the train to buy a ticket. I can buy online ahead of time, but I don’t know what time to purchase for – does it matter, or are the tickets good for a trip no matter what time of day on that date?

My other option would be to get off the train at Chiasso, get my ticket to Como, then wait for the next train to come through. Can anyone tell me how long of a wait/how often the trains run the route?

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2018 at 9:24:48 #885703

Hi AKapp,

No worries, you can always buy a ticket in advance. There is no need to get off the train and make your journey longer than it needs to be. I’d just avoid the trains that are marked as “reservation compulsory” as those require a seat reservation for a specific time. But I don’t think any trains to Como require those.

You can search for a ticket from Chiasso to Como through the retailers at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price, or you can try the train operator at http://www.trenord.it. I am quite sure any staffed station in Switzerland, like Brunnen, sells those tickets as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 13:01:08 #885704

Thanks! All the tickets I find to purchase ask for times — that may be difficult as I am not sure exactly what time I will need the ticket from Chiasso to Como. Does this matter, or are they actually valid for any of the trains as long as it’s on the same date?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 14:13:28 #885705

As long as it isn’t noted as “reservation compulsory” the ticket should be ok for any train that day. That is normal in Switzerland

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass to Como, Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.