Swiss Travel Pass versus Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 0:40:52 #812131

We are family of 4 (2 Adults, 16 yr, 13 yr) visiting Switzerland for 4 nights.

Would appreciate if someone could help us on Swiss Travel Pass v/s Half Fare Card v/s Individual Train Tickets?

Day 1 (Night in InterLaken)

Leaving Paris and arriving InterLaken Ost around 2:00pm

Visit HarderKulm

Day 2 (Night in InterLaken)

Visit JungFrau (Via Lauterbruun, Wengen. Grindelwald , Kleine Scheidegg )

Day 3 (Night in Lucerne)

Depart to Lucerne – Golden Pass Train from Interlaken to Lucerne

Chapel Bridge

Chocolate /Cheese Tasting Tour

Day 4 (Night in Lucerne)

Pilatus Golden Round Trip ( Via Lake Lucerne – Alpnachstad – Kriens)

Local Strolling.

Day 5 (Night in Venice)

Leave from Lucerne to Venice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 9:17:19 #864524

Hi Parikh17 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The only way to be sure of the best rail pass for you is to visit our page on choosing the best rail pass, and doing the math to compare costs.

I would focus on either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Travel Pass is much easier to use (no need to buy tickets at all) and is valid for most public transit in Swiss towns.You will need to buy a Swiss Travel Pass Youth, for your 16 year old, and a Swiss Family Card (free) for the 13 year old (this covers the 13 year old on all trips within Switzerland).

Both can also be bought online and printed at home via email so you have it to use upon arrival in Switzerland.

With the Swiss Travel Pass you will only need to buy point to point tickets for travel outside Switzerland – so Paris to Swiss border town (Basel) and Swiss border town (Chiasso) to Venice.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 12:16:14 #864525

Thanks Lucas for your response !!

Few more questions :

• With Swiss Travel Pass is Interlaken to Lucerne free ?
    • When I go to buy train tickets mainly Paris to Interlaken & Lucerne to Venice I don’t see the option for Swiss Pass on SBB site. There is ‘GA’ for 1st & 2nd class, is that what I need to select for Swiss Pass to apply ?
    • Lastly, for JunJungFraug since we are coming in Mid July, I believe its a busy season – I am hoping to buy the tickets the day before , would that be OK or it could be sold out ?

Thanks again for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 16:17:23 #864526

Hi Parikh17,

• Yes, and you can see all that is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.
    • GA is a rail pass for Swiss residents only. It would be easier for you to buy the tickets on my links above – just buy to/from the border town and then use the Swiss Travel Pass for the rest of the trip
    • The day before should be fine – the whole day certainly won’t be sold out, it is possible certain times could be full that’s all.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass versus Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.