Swiss Travel Pass vs Swiss 1/2 fare card price

Swiss Travel Pass vs Swiss 1/2 fare card price

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Babs
Babs
19 posts
May 1, 2018 - 10:46 PM

I will be in Switzerland for a week with my husband . We will take day trips from Lucerne to Titlus, train to Murren and area and visit a few museums. We will take the train from Lucerne to the Zurick airport. It is difficult to get exact prices on the different parts of our trip. But the Swiss Travel pass seems so convenient. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Babs

rockoyster
rockoyster
3730 posts
expert
May 1, 2018 - 11:31 PM in reply to Babs

Hello Babs,

The Swiss Travel Pass is VERY convenient and also covers your museum desires to a fair degree,

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to work out the fares for any trip. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at that page.

When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4740 posts
expert
May 1, 2018 - 11:37 PM in reply to Babs

Hi Babs-

<<" will be in Switzerland for a week with my husband .">>

When? It can be important in the Alpine regions. Do you have any preferred activities?

Slowpoke

Babs
Babs
19 posts
May 2, 2018 - 12:21 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

our trip is the last week in May. I would probably have to buy an 8 day pass. We definitely want to go to Tiflis and also we will do an overnight in Murrin and take cable cars from there to see the waterfalls and Jungrau area.

I think I read somewhere the train to the airport from Zurick is not covered in the Swiss Travel Pass. I don't know how much buses and trams cost but don't think we will save money but it would be convenient.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Babs

rockoyster
rockoyster
3730 posts
expert
May 2, 2018 - 12:27 AM in reply to Babs

I think I read somewhere the train to the airport from Zurick is not covered in the Swiss Travel Pass.

It is covered but it’s a cheap trip anyway.

The best pass (if any) depends on your itinerary plus how much you value not having to buy individual tickets is a factor. Savings are not always guaranteed but flexibility and convenience is.

Last modified on May 2, 2018 - 12:29 AM by rockoyster
Babs
Babs
19 posts
May 2, 2018 - 12:29 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster

Thanks for all of your information and websites. I will try to do a spreadsheet. I may not save a lot of money with the Swiss Travel Pass but it would be very cinvenient.

Babs

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4740 posts
expert
May 2, 2018 - 12:35 AM in reply to Babs

Hi Babs-

<<"What do you recommend?">>

I don't recommend anything about rail passes, because I don't keep up with the details. I leave that to the forum moderators, who are experts on rail passes. I visit Switzerland frequently, and find a one year half fare card to be suitable for me.

Late May is still quite wintry near the Jungfrau. No issue unless you plan to do some hiking.

<<"We definitely want to go to Tiflis and also we will do an overnight in

Murrin and take cable cars from there to see the waterfalls and Jungrau

area.">>

Don't know where Tiflis is. Murrin is spelled "Mürren", or, with an English keyboard, "Muerren."

Slowpoke

Babs
Babs
19 posts
May 2, 2018 - 10:28 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks for the info. Sorry about the misspellings. Muerren and Mt Titlis.

Babs

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018