Swiss Travel Pass vs car rental

• amarmistry
    Participant
    35 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:21:32 #815681

Entering Basel, Switzerland via TGV Lyria on 07/07/2018. Flying out of Switzerland on 07/14/2018 from Zurich.

Total three in my party. Swiss travel pass $1242 total (8 days consecutive).

Car rental: Approx $500. Not sure of gas, parking, tolls etc.

I would be doing GEX (from Brigg to Zermatt) and GPEX (Interlaken to Montreaux).

Can’t decide if renting car is better or Swiss Travel Pass. Has anyone been in this situation and what did you do?

Also came across this: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficregulations

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:46:38 #883947

Hi amarmistry,

That is quite a cheap rate for a rental car for 8 days. Economically that might make more sense…

Be sure to read about travel by car vs. train first though. We always recommend the train but sometimes it doesn’t make sense personally or financially. The rental car will have a toll pass already so you just need to worry about gas and parking (which can add up).

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 May 2018 at 14:25:22 #883948

Hi Amarmistry,

Were you able to make up your mind? Note that just the rental fee is often not close to what you’ll actually be spending on transportation. Indeed there is parking that you already mentioned. I just spent CHF 20 per day on a parking garage, for example, which is a normal amount in Switzerland. To reach the beautiful spots you often also need to travel by boat, cable car, cogwheel train, etc. With a rail pass those are either discounted or free. If you do rent a car then at least Swiss Half Fare Cards would be useful to save money: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard.

Enjoy your trip!

amarmistry
    Participant
    35 posts
    21 May 2018 at 15:11:44 #883949

Actually I think I am leaning towards not renting the car. Will most probably take STP. I did not check out Swiss half fare card yet. But I wonder if it’d be a better choice over STP for 7 nights stay.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 May 2018 at 15:23:47 #883950

Hi Amarmistry,

Which of those two is best price wise depends on what exactly you plan to do (transfers and day trips, and museums perhaps). You’ll find details here:

For convenience the Swiss Travel Pass is best, but if the Swiss Half Fare Card would be much cheaper overall then that’s the way to go of course.

You’ll like the trains once there!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs car rental’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.