Swiss Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card

Swiss Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
khetank
khetank
19 posts
May 9, 2018 - 6:51 PM

Hello,

We will be in Switzerland from July 29th to Aug 4th and plan to cover Golden Pass from Montreaux to Interlaken and then stay 3 nights in Interlaken and 3 nights in Lucern. In Interlaken we are planning to do Jungfrau, , cruise on Lake Thun and day trip to Bern. In Lucern we will go to Mt. Titlis, Basel and then visit various attractions in Lucern. I did the calculation for Point to Point ticket as well as 8 day Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card. I also referred to the spreadsheet in the forum. According to my calculation Half Fare card is proving to be MORE ECONOMICAL / CHEAPER. Am I missing anything or doing some calculation incorrectly ? I am attaching my spreadsheet with calculation.

Can you confirm that Half Fare Card is the best option for my itinerary.

Thanks

Kris

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
3730 posts
expert
May 9, 2018 - 10:31 PM in reply to khetank

Looks about right based on your itinerary.

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
May 10, 2018 - 1:49 AM in reply to khetank

It can definitely be the case that the Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option for your itinerary - one of the rail passes has to be. :)

khetank
khetank
19 posts
May 10, 2018 - 2:09 AM

Thanks Lucas and rockoyster.

I will wait a little while to see if any promotion comes up for Swiss Pass before I buy it. Any idea how early I can buy the train tickets if I go for half fare card ? I think I was checking for July 30 and it says that "Your date of travel is not within the advance booking period".

Thanks

Kris

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
May 10, 2018 - 2:32 AM in reply to khetank

If your train doesn't require reservations (only panoramic trains require them) then you can buy tickets online when you like (www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price) or at the station before boarding the train.

Last modified on May 21, 2018 - 5:33 PM by Arno
khetank
khetank
19 posts
May 10, 2018 - 2:39 AM in reply to Lucas

Lucas,

i have already bought reservation for Golden pass train for July 29 @3.44 pm from Montreaux to Interlaken. Do i still have to buy train ticket in advance or can i buy it the same day if i have Half Fare card already bought ??

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
May 10, 2018 - 2:44 AM in reply to khetank

Same day purchase is fine if you already have the reservation. Tickets don't sell out - only seat reservations.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018