About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss Travel Pass vs Jungfrau Hiking/Sledging Pass
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss Travel Pass vs Jungfrau Hiking/Sledging Pass

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Maddy
Maddy
3 posts
Feb 21, 2019 - 9:05 AM

Hi Team,

Firstly, I would like to give a big shout out to the team behind MySwissAlps. This is an amazing forum, easy to navigate and full of tonnes of useful information for travelers. Kudos ! and Loads of love all the way from India.

Although, for a first time traveler, I was able to get a fairly good idea of where and how to travel, I still had a few doubts, which I am putting forward now, along with information on my itinerary, so that you can suggest best possible options for me.

Itinerary :

• I am planning to travel to Interlaken OST from Austria, on 10th of March, 2019, with my wife and from there, take a train to Lauterbrunnen, reaching @ around 2:30-3:00 pm.
  • I plan to book a stay at Lauterbrunnen and from there take an early train to Jungfraujoch on 11th March, 2019, and cover a few places in the vicinity, like Kleine Scheidegg and Wengen while returning back to Lauterbrunnen in the night.
  • I will return back to Interlaken OST on 12th of March, since I have to take my train back to Austria, from where I will catch my flight back to India, in the early hours of 13th March, 2019.

Few things I wanted to know are :

1) Which pass should I take for my itinerary, Swiss Travel Pass vs Jungfrau Travel Pass or Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass ( considering it will be winter in March), and for how many days (1 day, 2 day, 3 day) ?

2) What is the difference in price for the two?

3) Will the pass cover my travel from Interlaken OST to Lauterbrennen and onwards to jungfroch , and then back to Interlaken on 12th of March?

3) Will I still need to book tickets, after I take the pass, or will the pass be enough?

4) Websites where I can buy the passes, since I am not sure about buying from the train station directly.

Thanks in advance.

Last modified on Feb 21, 2019 - 6:25 PM by Maria
Maria
Maria
818 posts
top member
Feb 21, 2019 - 6:40 PM

Hi Maddy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Very happy to hear you find our website useful and what a lovely trip you are planning albeit a bit short! :)

I assume you already have tickets to and from Austria so it would only be your travel within the Jungfrau region you are looking at.

Here are some links referring to the different passes you are considering:

As you will see when you click on the links, for 3 days the only pass you will be able to get at that time of the year is the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass (the Jungfrau Travel Pass is only available in the summer). The Swiss Travel Pass doesn't make sense for your plans to me as you are only staying within one region.

To see what is covered in this pass you can go to: www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss/validity

You will find websites where you can buy the passes if you click on the above link, as well as pricing information :)

There is a really nice map on that link of the valley and viewpoints with the applicable coverage and discounts e.g. to Jungfraujoch. You can then do the math to see exactly what you will be paying.

You can also consider point to point tickets if you really want to do the math! www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Maria.

Maddy
Maddy
3 posts
Feb 21, 2019 - 6:59 PM in reply to Maria

Thanks a lot Maria, for sharing the relevant links.

Looking forward to an awesome trip in one of the world's most beautiful place ! :)

Maddy
Maddy
3 posts
Feb 25, 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hi There !

I have completed all the necessary tasks for my travel. The only thing remaining is for me to buy the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass , regarding which I have a few doubts :

1) If I am only traveling in the jungfrau region, do I need to buy the jungfrau hiking and sledging pass along with the swiss travel pass ( as informed by a person on Swisstours India office) , or only the former ?

2) The only place that I can find the jungfrau hiking and sledging online pass is @ ACPrail.com ( as link given by Myswissalps on the pass page). Is it safe to buy from the site, since there are a lot of negative reviews regarding the same on many forums.

3) What is the procedure if I decide to buy the pass offline, when I arrive at jungfrau ?

Thanks.

Arno
Arno
14394 posts
expert &
Feb 25, 2019 - 3:04 PM

Hi Maddy,

1) It rarely makes sense to buy two passes that cover the same days. Very often the Swiss Travel Pass is the best choice, because it includes the trips to and from the Jungfrau region as well, it offers free traveling to all towns in the region plus the Schilthorn, it allows to travel beyond the region should the weather require that, and it offers discounts on other mountain trips. If you travel very intensively within the region though, the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass can work out cheaper. Listing your trips and doing the math allows you to make sure: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

2) No worries about ACP Rail, we only list credible trustworthy retailers on our website: https://www.acprail.co m/rail-passes/jungfrau-passes.

3) In that case you'll need to go to a staffed train station during opening hours and pay in Swiss francs. This option is listed here too: www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss/price.

Last modified on Nov 25, 2020 - 8:03 AM by Arno

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020