Swiss travel pass vs Swiss Half Fare card

Swiss travel pass vs Swiss Half Fare card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Shikin
Shikin
15 posts
Sep 3, 2017 - 3:45 AM

Hi, i am having trouble deciding between the Swiss travel pass and the swiss half fare card.

Seeing as how i will be travelling to different parts of Switzerland during my 6 day stay here, able to advise which would be a better and cheaper option based on my itinerary please?

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich. Head to Grindelwald. Depart from Grindelwald to First and hike to Bachalpsee. Then travel back to Grindelwald.

Day 2: Depart from Grindelwald to Jungfrau. Stay in Jungfrau for about 3hrs. head back to Grindelwald.

Day 3: Depart from Grindelwald to Lucerne. One whole day to explore Luzern.

Day 4: Head to Kandersteg. Then take the gondola rail to Oeschinen lake and take the toboggan run. Head back to Kandersteg then to Lucerne.

Day 5: Depart from Lucerne to Zurich. Spend one whole day in Zurich.

Day 6: Depart from Zurich to Austria.

Based on my itinerary above, which would be most ideal to purchase? and is the itineray good to go? Understand that for a trip to Jungfrau it is best to check the weather forecast and book the tickets a day before.

Btw, does the swiss travel pass covers the cable car ride up to oeschinen and first? or will there be a 50% discount rate for that?

THANKS~

Last modified on Sep 3, 2017 - 3:54 AM by Shikin
Lucas
Lucas
7092 posts
expert &
Sep 3, 2017 - 7:49 AM in reply to Shikin

Hi Shikin,

Yes, your itinerary looks fine. The Swiss Travel Pass does not fully cover the trip at Oeschinen or First no. You can see what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here on the PDF map (including what is just discounted.

To choose the best rail pass you must do the math and compare rail pass prices to point to point tickets. We have a web page with Excel sheet here to help you. I would lean towards buying an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass personally - much easier to use (no tickets needed to buy unless the route is only discounted).

If you buy the pass online it can be emailed to you for printing at home (either pass) and then you have no waits at offices when you arrive and an electronic back-up as well.

Lucas

Shikin
Shikin
15 posts
Sep 7, 2017 - 12:00 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for providing with such a detailed explanation.

I checked online under www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland / and the price of the train ticket from Grindelwald to Jungfrau is about EUR 148 with a swiss travel pass.

Can i just check is this price cheaper to get online or at the train station itself from grindelwald?

Please help!

Thank you.

Regards,

Shikin

Arno
Arno
10735 posts
expert &
Sep 7, 2017 - 12:11 PM

Hi Shikin,

You'll find the regular local prices via the link under "More information" on www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets. The local price is currently cheaper but HappyRail will probably lower their prices in due course. I can't make promises though as we are not HappyRail!

Last modified on Sep 7, 2017 - 12:13 PM by Arno
Shikin
Shikin
15 posts
Sep 7, 2017 - 1:00 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno, I checked under the local prices and it's about CHF183 for individual ticket to jungfrau.

So with a Swiss travel pass, after 25% it will be about CHF135. An I right?

will there be a case that tickets get sold out to jungfrau in the train station? Because we will most likely get the tickets from grindelwald train station.

Thnaks for your help!

Arno
Arno
10735 posts
expert &
Sep 7, 2017 - 2:53 PM in reply to Shikin

Hi Shikin,

The link in my previous reply explains about the likelihood of tickets selling out. I wouldn't worry about it unless your trip is in summer.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018