Swiss Travel Pass vs Tell Pass for a family of 4?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 3:23:06 #825159

Hello! We are planning to stay in Lucerne for 5 days, plus 2 travel days from/to Zurich Airport. We are 2 adults, a 15 year old, and an 18 year old. We want to visit Pilatus (Golden Round Trip), Burgenstock, Titlis, and First in Grindelwald. (MAYBE Schilthorn, but since we will visit First, it seems a long way to travel again another day..)

I’m trying to figure out which is best, a Tell Pass or a Swiss Travel Pass, and I can do the math to see which pass works best, but I just want to make sure I understand the differences, or my math will be wrong! 🙂

Am I correct that Swiss Travel Pass will allow free travel on trains (including from Zurich airport and all the way to Grindelwald to get to First) but 50% discount on cable cars, while the Tell Pass will allow completely free travel INCLUDING cable cars to peaks, except to get to Grindelwald First, our Tell Pass will only get us as far as Interlaken, then we are all paying full fare from there? (I do understand that we can only get from Zug with the Tell Pass when going from/to Zurich Airport)

If we get Swiss Travel Pass, I believe I can get a free Family Card for the 15 year old, but then she still has to pay the child rate for mountain cable cars? Can I purchase her a SBB Junior Card for CHF 30 and then will all of her cable cars be free if the rest of us get a Swiss Travel Pass? Or can I buy her a Child Tell Pass if the rest of us buy a Swiss Travel Pass? Or do we all need to buy a Tell Pass in order to get her the child Tell Pass? The whole Child thing has me really quite confused!

Thank you so much for your help & guidance!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs Tell Pass for a family of 4?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.