Swiss Travel Pass when traveling into Austria

• Kikig
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 March 2023 at 1:51:32 #829411

Hello! My parents and I are visiting Switzerland in May and we have purchased the Swiss Travel Pass. We will be visiting Austria for a few days and understand the Swiss Travel Pass will not apply to that part of the travel. Can anyone advise how to best purchase the ticket for the portion of travel in Austria?

For example, we are looking at traveling from Basel to Salzburg. Our rail pass should cover us to the Switzerland border, so do we purchase an Austria ticket through SBB at the station or do we purchase a ticket through the Austria OBB? I guess I am confused as to where (what city) we book the Austria ticket from. The route we are looking at only has a change in Zurich and then is a direct trip into Salzburg. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2353 posts
    26 March 2023 at 7:24:33 #952573

Hello Kikig,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. How exciting to be visiting Switzerland.

That’s correct, your Swiss Travel Pass will not cover the austrian leg of your trip. More details can be found here on tickets to/from Switzerland to Austria. Depending on the route you take, for example, you will need to purchase the appropriate portion, you can find points of sale in the below link too, under the price tab.

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2023 at 9:33:49 #952574

Hi Kikig,

You can buy the ticket for the Austrian part of the leg from several resellers: SBB, ÖBB and many more options. You’ll find them through the link provided by Yolanda.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover your journey as far as Buchs SG. So you need an additional ticket Buchs SG-Salzburg. A few connections run via Munich in Germany. In these cases, the Swiss Travel Pass will be valid up to St. Margrethen. You can find the Swiss Travel Pass validity map here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity, and you can plan your journey with the aid of the timetable: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass when traveling into Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.