Swiss Travel Pass + which pass for Jungfrau area?

• Kiongie91
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 October 2022 at 9:08:40 #828473

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland from 30th Jan 2023 – 14th Feb 2023 (16 days 15 nights). My itinerary are as follow:

Day 1 & 2 : Zurich

Day 3 & 4 : Lucerne

Day 5: Interlaken & Lauterbrunnen

Day 6: Wengen (Manlinchen)

Day 7: Jungfraujoch

Day 8: Murren (Mt Schiltorn)

Day 9: Grindelwald

Day 10: Montreux

Day 11 & 12: Zermatt (Gornegrat)

Day 13: Leukarbad

Day 14 St Moritz

Day 15: Zurich

Day 16: Flight in the morning

I intend to purchase the 15Days Swiss travel pass. As i will be in the jungrau region from day 5 to day 9 (total 5 days), I will also be purchasing the Top of Europe Pass. Do i need the pass for 5 days or just 4 days as im unsure whether the interlaken & lauterbrunnen area will be covered entirely by the swiss travel pass. Anyone able to advise on this?

Kindly also provide feedback on the itinerary above so that i can plan my journey accordingly. Appreciate the kind help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 9:21:31 #947571

The Swiss public transport network – marketed as ‘Swiss Travel System’ covers the whole of Switzerland.

http://www.myswissalps.com/swissrailpasses

The Swiss travel system comprises a network that can be divided into two types (1) the ‘regular’ network of public transport routes ( in simple terms this means railways that locals and commuters will use in their daily lives around Switzerland ) (2) the ‘tourist network’ – that is the mountain railways, cableways, chair lifts etc that visiting tourists (which of course includes Swiss residents on their leisure time) will use for mainly leisure purposes.

The Swiss Travel Pass (STP) is valid for ‘walk-on’ aka free travel on the complete ‘regular network’, which is main line and commuter railways and local buses and trams – mainly at the lower altitudes and serving ‘real towns’ rather than tourist mountain peaks and outposts.

In the context of the Jungfrau area, the ‘regular network’ reaches as far as Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren – the four ‘real towns’ in the region. Above those four places the railways are pure mountain railways mainly aimed at tourists, so travel is discounted for STP, but not free. Discount fares are normally 50% on mountain railways, but the Jungfrau railway is very popular so they only give a 25% discount as they know they can make money from tourists.

So you will need to calculate if you need a Top of Europe Pass or if your STP plus discount fares on higher Jungfrau lines (ie Grindelwald / Wengen – Jungfraujoch ) will be no more expensive

Kiongie91
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 October 2022 at 9:27:03 #947572

Hi, thank you so much for the prompt reply! That clears alot of my doubts. In that case, am i safe to say that for day 5 as long as i am only travelling in interlaken & lauterbrunnen area, my STP would be sufficient. I only need the 4 DAYS Top of Europe Pass starting from Day 6- to Day 9 ( Manlinchen, Jungfraujoch , Schiltorn & Grindelwald).

Any idea whether there will be any additional discount for the Top of Europe Pass if i’m a STP holder? I read somewhere there’s 25% discount, not sure how true it is. Kindly advise.

Thank you! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 9:34:23 #947573

Warning I have modified my initial response, please read it again.

There is no discount on Top of Europe Pass for STP holders

Kiongie91
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 October 2022 at 9:37:49 #947574

Hi,

Noted that there is no discount for the Top of Europe Pass. I can get it online anytime before the trip, just like the STP correct?

Is my itinerary above feasible during winter? Many thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 11:00:07 #947575

The itinerary is fine, you should see some spectacular snowy views. However the Top of Europe pass is not available in winter:

http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpasses

Also, your planned visit is at the height of the ski season, so be prepared to share mountain railways with skiers, snowboarders and their bulky equipment

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 15:43:55 #947576

Hi Kiongie91 and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Unfortunately, most of the regional passes which are valid in the Jungfrau region are not available in winter.

Have a look at the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass, instead of the Top of Europe Pass:

Ildiko

Kiongie91
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 October 2022 at 15:46:36 #947577

Hi,

I have contacted the Jungfrau Tourist Office directly and they have informed me that it would be cheaper for me to purchase individual tickets to Jungraujoch, Grindelwald First etc since i will be entitled for the 50% discount with the STP. Many thanks for the reply!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 16:11:06 #947578

Hi Kiongie91,

that is correct, I thought you are looking for a pass so you do not have to pay more on your point to point tickets. Sorry!

You can find the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Make sure to browse the list too.

You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass online (http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price) in advance or after you arrive in Switzerland. If you buy it online (even just 1 day in advance) you do not have to wait in big line, so you can spare some time. More about where to buy your pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/wheretobuy.

Ildiko

Learn more about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Kiongie91
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 October 2022 at 16:12:45 #947579

Yes, i have a much clearer picture now. Thank you for the valuable information which i truly appreciate 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass + which pass for Jungfrau area?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.