Swiss Travel Pass/Payment/Dining

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 10:39:24 #815716

First of all, Your website was a great help in planning my vacation in Switzerland. You guys do a great job and service to guide beginner to expert travel planner. I have few questions that I believe might help get better understanding. My dates of travel as May 27 to June 2. I’m planning on staying 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Interlaken, 1 night in Lucerne, and 1 night back at Zurich. I’m planning on staying near the train station that are situated in the radius of 0.3 miles or so. I am travelling with 5 adults and 1 Toddler

Swiss Travel Pass

Should I buy the Travel Pass before I arrive at ZRH Airport? Or can I just buy at the information center?

How does it look like? Card? Paper Printout? Vouchers?

For all my destinations, can I use the Travel Pass or will there be a hidden ticket that I might need to purchase?

Promo Codes at SBB CH are for European travelers and not for US Travelers?

Mode of Payment

To be safe and convenient, I would like to make it a Cashless vacation. That being said, can Credit card purchases be possible for all transactions at these locations mentioned above?

Will merchants take US Dollars or strictly Swiss Francs if needed?

Dining Options

Could you list some apps/websites that can provide restaurants/cafes listings and ratings which will enable us to find food options

I tried using Yelp, but didn’t feel like it was capturing enough merchants

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 19:24:27 #884124

Hi Pvargh82 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It would be easier and simpler to buy your Swiss Travel Passes online. They are then emailed to you to print at home (then you also have back up copies in case any are lost).

Some trips may only be discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass. These are mostly mountain trips, like Pilatus where you still must buy a ticket at 50% discount. You can read here what trips are covered fully or partially by the Swiss Travel Pass.

No, some smaller shops and even restaurants may not accept credit cards. You’ll want to travel with some Swiss Francs at all times. Some larger shops will accept Euros but not US dollars no. Stick with the official currency here.

I don’t know of any restaurant websites specifically. I usually Google “City name” restaurants.

Anything specific you are looking for?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 10:41:08 #884125

Thanks Lucas for the response. Additional questions came up as I read your replies.

Because we are 5 adults and 1 toddler. I only have to buy 5 adults tickets Correct? because toddler is only 2 1/2 year old. Family Card is more for older kids.

I’m planning on buying 2nd class ticket and depending on my travel time, I might upgrade for that particular travel if 2nd class is crowded.

Are Trains equipped for Luggage storage in the same Car/Cabins. I was trying to find images for trains and how inside of various trains look like. Its hard to find some.

Will there be merchants available like Travelex for Currency Exchanges in and around Train Stations (Bern, Interlaken, Lucerne)?

Would you be able to provide some insight on some farm tours/activities that we can do? I believe Interlaken and surrounding areas might be suited for these types of activities.

Thanks,

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2018 at 14:23:24 #884126

Hi Pvargh82,

You indeed only need Swiss Travel Passes for the adults. Please see Lucas’s link for where to order.

You can upgrade to 1st class at any time, but before you board the train.

There are countless train types so it’s difficult to know in advance which ones you’ll be using. Luggage can almost always be stored overhead or between the backs of seats. Or at least in the same carriage.

Currency exchange is available at most bigger stations like the ones you mentioned. I’ve never used them myself and get cash from ATM’s, which are also available at or near train stations.

I don’t know anything about farm tours. Perhaps someone else knows. Can you share some more details of your expectations?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 2:27:29 #884127

>> Would you be able to provide some insight on some farm tours/activities that we can do? I believe Interlaken and surrounding areas might be suited for these types of activities.

See if you can arrange anything to suit you through Interlaken Tourismus:

http://www.interlaken.ch/en/a ctivities-excursions-adventure-festivals/families-holidays-activities/farm-visits-interlaken.html

Please note that many farms may not be easily accessible by public transport, and some farmers might not speak English.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 17:04:21 #884128

Thank you for your responses. I was thinking of doing a tour in which farmer will show the farm, types of dairy cows and maybe indulge visitors in showing how milking and/or show the process of creating cheese. But its fine. Looks like we might just cancel this plan.

1) What is the main train station in Interlaken? Interlaken OST or Interlaken West? Is there a Shuttle connecting these train stations?

2) Going to Jungfraujoch, Do I have to split my trip from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken to Jungfrauouch OR can I make it 1 Trip and hop off at Lauterbrunnen for some time and then hop on to continue my journey, will there be an issue with the ticket for the same trip on the same day?

3) For Return down from Jungfraujoch to Interlaken, Can I use the same ticket to come down via Grindelwald instead of Lauterbrennan?

4) How long is the travel time from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch?

Thanks,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 22:06:49 #884129

Hi Pvargh82,

1. Interlaken Ost is the main station and an important railway junction. There’s a train or a bus. See Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.
    2. You can make it one trip with the same train ticket. Read more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e.
    3. No, you will have to purchase a ticket via Grindelwald. If you have the Swiss Travel Pass the train from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch is 25% off. The train to Grindelwald or Wengen is free.
    4. The Swiss railways timetable will tell you.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2018 at 22:16:29 #884130

You will find the price list here. If you look up the fare from Wengen you will see a trip decribed as “Jungfraujoch und zurück nach Grindelwald” which is up from Wengen down to Grindelwald. Swiss Travel Pass gets you 25% discount off that route. Rest of trip is fully covered.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass/Payment/Dining’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.