5 day Luzern travel plan with 6 years old child

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 15:15:19 #815229

Hi ,

I am planning to visit swiss and below is my plan. I am travelling with around 6 years child.I am going to buy 4 day travel pass and for 1 st day (18 may) super saver ticket from basel sbb to luzcern.

1)Is this cheaper and good option ?

2)I would like to know that below plan is comfertable for child ? I

3)I am missing any best places ?

4)Do I need to buy mountain tickets for child (6 years and 3 months) and need to pay fulll amount if I have swiss family card ?

18 May Basel to Luzcern and roam around in luzcern

19 May Mountitlis and boat ride in luzcern

20 May rigi mountain , Golden pass train , boats in interleaken

21 May Pilatus mountain and Grindelwald Village

22 May Matterhorn mountain and return back to basel till 7 p.m

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 15:56:01 #881758

Hi Rushabh, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. The Swiss Travel Pass looks like your best option. If you would like to know for sure, you’ll have to do the math. We have an Excel spreadsheet that can help you with that: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.
    2. Yes, this is doable for your child.
    3. You’ve selected some nice mountain tops. I think this itinerary looks fine. Only thing I’m wondering is whether you stay in Grindelwald. Or are you planning to do Mt. Pilatus, then Grindelwald and then back to Lucerne? If so, please use the Swiss timetable to plan the trip and to see if it is doable. If you go to Grindelwald on the 21st. you will take the Golden Pass again. So you may want to rethink how to plan the 20st and 21st.
    4. No, when you have the Swiss Family Card, your child travels for free.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 16:14:39 #881759

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for prompt reply.

18 May Basel to Luzcern and roam around in luzcern — >night stay in luzcern

19 May Mountitlis and boat ride in luzcern – ->night stay in luzcern

20 May rigi mountain , Golden pass train , boats in interleaken — > night stay in interleaken

21 May Pilatus mountain and Grindelwald Village –> night stay in interleaken

question:

1)when you have the Swiss Family Card, your child travels for free. So I don’t have to buy mountain tickets for children too ? I am wondering for adult some of the mountain tickets at 50% price then what about child ? For child no need to pay any money for any monuntain top if I have Swiss Family Card ?

2)can you please check the above plan and suggest ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 16:35:28 #881760

Hi Rushabh,

1. No need to pay an additional fee for your child. Everything is covered.
    2. Regarding the 21st of May, are you perhaps planning to visit Jungfraujoch? Mt. Pilatus can be best visited from Lucerne. Otherwise you have to travel back again which would be a waste of your time.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 8:45:19 #881761

Jungfraujoch is more costly so I would not like to visit 🙂

1)Just wanted to confirm that ,As per the below link,pilatus mountain cost for child of 6 to 16 years is 50% ? http://www.pilatus.ch/en/book ing/prices/ however you have mentioned that it’s free for child if I pucrhase swiss family pass ?

2)which moutain tops are totally free in swiss pass for adults ?

3)Matternhorn or rigi montain is better in May 20 to may 22 and for 7 years child ?

4)Any other places which is good for child of 7 years you can suggest ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 10:03:35 #881762

Hi Rushabh,

1. It’s indeed not really clear on their website, but I do confirm that they travel for free
    2. Please check this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity
    3. They are both different. You won’t go up the Matterhorn, but will get glorious views from Gornergrat
    4. Please use the search box at the top of the page to find out what other people do. I don’t have kids, so I’m not the right person to give you any suggestions
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 6:22:42 #881763

As per your answer.

They are both different. You won’t go up the Matterhorn, but will get glorious views from Gornergrat. I won’t go up to Matterhorn .Is it close in May that’s the reason ?

I have check , May 21 2018 is Whit Monday and I wants to know all public transport (train , bus ,cable car ) are closed or working ? GoldenPass Line is closed ? Or some of the specific mountains tops are closed ?

I need some more information about locker on train station . On Basel , Luzcern and Interleaken is it available ? Does Does it need only CHF coins or it accepts euros ? Any specific time the lockers are available ? Cost ?

To usey Baby Pram for 6 year child while roam in switzerland ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 8:49:18 #881764

Hi Rushabh,

The Matterhorn is never open – there are no facilities so only actual mountain climbers go up it and that is very restricted now as well due to many deaths.

So your best bet to get the best views of the Matterhorn is to go up neighbouring mountains like Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn.

The transports and mountains will not be closed due to the holiday no. A few may be closed due to maintenance but the ones you’ve mentioned above will be open.

To read more about lockers at train stations look here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/services/lock ers.html all major stations have them at a cost around 6-8 chf per 24 hours (depending on size). They will only accept chf currency

I don’t believe you will have any big issues with the baby pram on your travels….perhaps if you go into a small gondola going up a mountain you’ll need to fold it up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 6:24:40 #881765

hi.

thx for reply.

20 May rigi mountain , Golden pass train , boats in interleaken — > night stay in interleaken

21 May Pilatus mountain and Grindelwald Village –> night stay in interleaken

As per my plan still i have question is like if the weather is not good then which are other places i can see in luzcern and interleaken if i can not go to mountain tops due to bad weather ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 6:55:40 #881766

Hi Rushabh,
    Please have a look at the following webpages:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 10:55:09 #881767

Thanks for the reply.

I found below link mentioned that for Pilatus mountains if I have swiss pass then needs to pay 50% cost http://www.pilatus.ch/en/book ing/prices/

some website says no need tp pay.

can you please confirm ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 11:31:42 #881768

>> I found below link mentioned that for Pilatus mountains if I have swiss pass then needs to pay 50% cost

That is the official site for Pilatus, and the information is correct.

>> some website says no need tp pay.

They are out of date. Pilatus was free with the Swiss Travel Pass in 2017. In 2018, you only get a 50% discount on the cogwheel train between Alpnachstad and Pilatus Kulm and the cableway between Kriens and Pilatus Kulm.

Have you downloaded the map showing where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid? Chantal gave you the link earlier.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘5 day Luzern travel plan with 6 years old child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.