Swiss Half Fare Card for a car trip

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
kentjulie
kentjulie
8 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 6:01 PM

Hi

We are planning our trip to Switzerland from May 26th - May 31st, 2020. Our itinerary looks like this:

May 26th - we arrive by car in Interlaken in the evening. We are staying at an Airbnb.

May 27th - we plan to drive to Kandersteg (with a stop after in Blausee) to do the Mountain Coaster. Then back to Interlaken and over to Harder Kulm.

May 28th - we plan to drive to Lauterbrunnen, with visits to the Staubbach Falls, Wengen and Schilthorn Mountain

May 29th - we drive to Zurich and tour a bit there

May 30th - we drive to Appenzell. Details are not complete here yet.

My question is - does the Swiss Half Pass make sense for us considering we have a car? It does not say if the gondola that goes up to the mountain coaster is covered with this pass.

I apologize if this stuff is somewhere on the site, there is just oh soooo much information out there....

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 8:14 PM in reply to kentjulie

Hello kentjulieand Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The validity map at www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity shows the Gondola from Kandersteg to Oeschinen as 50% discount.

You may find this of interest.

1960man
1960man
2464 posts
top member
Jan 15, 2020 - 12:48 AM in reply to kentjulie

Even though I am not resident in Switzerland, I keep an annual Half fare card on the go as i visit frequently . It is exactly the right approach to take if you also have a car - it's what I do nearly every year.

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 15, 2020 - 6:04 AM in reply to kentjulie

Hi Kentjulie,

if you are going to travel by car, the Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option for you: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard. Download the map and browse the list on the same page that Rockoyster mentioned previously.

At www.myswissalps.com/car you'll find practical information regarding car travel in Switzerland. Make sure to read this too: www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains. Traveling by car can be difficult is you are not used to driving in the mountains.

Usually we recommend traveling by train in Switzerland, as the train system is amazing here. Not just safe but also comfortable and eco friendly. You can read more about cars vs trains

at www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain. Anyway, if you will drive, please have a look at www.myswissalps.com/co2compensation.

Also see:

Last modified on Jan 16, 2020 - 5:29 PM by Ildiko
kentjulie
kentjulie
8 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:09 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you for your help :-) We chose a car because we are 4 adults (my 2 children are coming with us) and it was so cheaper and time saving. We only have 5 days.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020