Swiss trip for 7 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2013 at 7:15:39 #805871

Hi

I am planning a trip to switzerland for 7 days and I will be taking the Swiss pass. While i do visit the sbb site for train details, i need to know the following:

1) The sbb site shares train timings from say lucerne to zermatt. But what if i want to travel on a panaromic train? what are my options? I plan to visit Zermatt, Interlaken, Geneva, Zurich, Montreaux and Lugano. Can i take a panoramic train to at least one of these places? which is the best one to take?

2) what are the options available for cruises? which ones are included in this swiss pass? do you have any recommendations?

3) What are the musuems really worth visiting that are included in the swiss pass in the cities mentioned above?

4) I will be based in Lucerne and so will have to really make an effort to take the chocolate train. is it worth it?

5) On the last day, my flight leaves from Zurich at 9.00 in the morning. and so i need to be at the airport at 6 in the morning. how should we go about it? will there be trains available as early as say 5.00 in the morning?

will appreciate any input that you can give. look forward to making the most of my swiss trip.

cheers

armin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2013 at 16:00:45 #838292

Hello armin,

1 & 2) If you download the map from our Swiss Pass page, you’ll see what’s included. Panoramic routes and boats are on the map as well. My recommendations for Lucerne would be to take the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Lucerne to Montreux. Here's the information about booking seats. A boat trip from Lucerne to Flüelen would be really nice as well. Or at least take a boat to Vitznau and do the Rigi mountain trip from there.

3) The Swiss Pass page links to a list of included museums. It’s really a matter of personal interests. I like the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne, although it’s not free but 50% discounted.

4) I would skip the Chocolate train. It’s a great excursion but the train departs early morning from Montreux, so I think it’s impossible to try and do that from Lucerne. This topic discusses more options to see chocolate making.

5) See the timetable for your options. An alternative for a better night’s sleep is to book an hotel close to the airport. Here's a list of excellent airport hotels; many of them offer a free transfer to the airport.

Hotels in Lucerne can be found here.

I hope this helps you out!

• The thread ‘Swiss trip for 7 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.