Swiss trip for 9: car or train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2020 at 17:56:43 #825153

Planning trip to Zurich, lucern, , mount titilis, Interlakent, Grindelwald, jungfraujouch, Rhine falls..

9 members.. including parents..

Which mode of travel is better?

Should I take Swiss pass and travel in train ? Or hire a mini van ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 February 2020 at 18:34:12 #929750

Hi Renjith,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you can find accommodation near train stations, I would recommend using public transport. The Swiss transport network is very comprehensive and after a few practice, you’ll find it’s easy to use and get around.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hotels/railstations

If you plan to rent a car, considering there are 9 of you, you have to get 2 cars to accommodate everyone and the extra luggage. Alternatively hire a very large vehicle, which may be a little difficult to drive on the mountains if you are not used to it. Having said that, Swiss roads are quite safe and signage is very good and we drive on the left by the way. With a car, you have the flexibility to go and stop where and when you want. But parking is not always free and convenient especially if you drive a minivan.

Best to read this before you decide: http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain

You can download a spreadsheet and compare train and car costs here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Lungworm
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 February 2020 at 22:07:46 #929751

I think Anna meant to write that Switzerland drives on the right side of the road.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2020 at 2:31:48 #929752

Yeah, I spotted that as well. Either that or that the driver’s side in the vehicle is on the left.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2020 at 2:34:21 #929753

Hi Renjith,

Before I would dare jump in about renting a car vs public transportation, I would ask how many days will your Swiss trip cover ? Arrival date, departure date ? Flying in and out of Zurich ? Also, have you looked into the Swiss half fare card ?

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 February 2020 at 8:38:58 #929754

Yes, sorry I meant right side 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2020 at 23:47:23 #929755

Is renjith still there ?

• The thread ‘Swiss trip for 9: car or train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.