Swiss trip, May/June 2024: best time to visit?

• Geejay
    Participant
    6 posts
    27 April 2023 at 1:04:48 #829699

Hi there,

I would like anyone or everybody travelling in Switzerland in middle May or middle June 2023 to let me know how things are in Lauterbrunnen for all the waterfalls and surrounding areas We do not want to be there in full tourist season so I need to choose.

I am trying to do a itinerary which will have us in Switzerland in middle May 2024 or middle June 2024

Our itinerary is.

Tirano to St Moritz on Bernina Express

St Moritz to Zermatt Glacier Express

Zermatt 2 + days

Zermatt to Interlaken (Rent a Car)?

Interlaken and surrounding areas 2+ days

Interlaken to Montreux Gold Pass Panoramic Train (Direct)

I will work the rest out when I decide on the right month

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    27 April 2023 at 11:37:03 #953804

Hello Geejay,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thank you for sharing your plans. The tourist season here starts from around May time till September with late June to August being the busier period. If you are wanting to avoid the crowds, then perhaps May will be lighter with the crowds.

Once you finalise plans, just a few points from your initial itinerary. Both the Bernina Express and Glacier Express, reservations are necessary for these train rides. An overview of both can be found here:

Just to let you know, in case you were not aware. For travel between Interlaken to Montreux by the GoldenPass. The GoldenPass Panoramic is not a direct train. You would have to change in Zweisimmen. The GoldenPass Express is normally a direct train. There are current technical problems which are yet to be resolved. Currently it is only running between Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost. More about the Golden Pass can be found here:

Interlaken is great base town to explore the region.

The Swiss public transport system is very accessible and reliable. I don’t think you will need to rent a car to be honest, especially for a journey from the Zermatt (Zermatt is car-free) to Interlaken. Taking the RegioExpress Lötschberger would a lovely scenic journey for you to experience.

If you need any help in regard to traveling around Switzerland, you should find this link helpful:

I hope this gets you started.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2023 at 12:06:47 #953805

Mid May and Mid June are both reasonable times to visit. Waterfalls will be at their fullest during the snow melt season, but as global warming is upsetting that process, who knows what the case will be in a year’s time

Renting a car for Zermatt to Interlaken is not practical since there are no car rental locations in the Zermatt area (tourists can not take cars to Zermatt). By the time you have reached a car rental location you will be already half way to Interlaken

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    27 April 2023 at 17:12:29 #953806

If you haven’t noticed the Swiss Travel Pass promotion that is currently running, that might work well for your itinerary and eliminate any thoughts of a car rental. The details are available on this site.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    27 April 2023 at 19:52:54 #953807

Thanks so much Lastlook.

However Geejay is looking to visit Switzerland next year in May or June.

The Swiss Travel Pass current promotion has to have a start date between 15 April and 13 November 2023.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    28 April 2023 at 16:10:28 #953808

Oops – sorry that I missed that they are planning for 2024. 🙂

Geejay
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 April 2023 at 2:08:52 #953809

Hi to You all,

Thank you for all your replies and they will help me

Kind Regards,

Garry

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 April 2023 at 4:26:49 #953810

No need for a “sorry” Lastlook, you’re being very helpful :-)!

• The thread ‘Swiss trip, May/June 2024: best time to visit?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.