Trip with Half Fare Card vs Swiss Travel Pass

• drrpkesav
    Participant
    8 posts
    27 February 2018 at 15:19:05 #814537

Hi guys,

I will be travelling with my wife to Switzerland for 8 days in the first half of June. I would like to get your suggestions regarding the utility of swiss half fare card vs Swiss Travel Pass.

I will be travelling to Zurich and doing the sightseeing by walk, then taking the cruise on Zurich lake, using trams/buses/trains liberally for two days. I will also be visiting the Rheine falls.

Then I will be travelling to Luzern to do local signtseeing, Pilatus, and Titlis over 2 or 3days.

The next two days I will be travelling to Interlaken mainly for Jungfrauhoch and Trummelbach falls. Will do the lake Brienz/Thun cruise if time permits. Again two days in Interlaken. Add Schilltorn if i reduce one day from Luzern.

From there i will be going back to Zurich for the last day and my flight back to India.

Considering that I travel so much within a city and also to mountain tops I am in a dilemma to choose between the passes. For within city travel and using the trams/buses/trains I feel the STP will be way more helpful because I dont have to buy tickets anywhere. But for Jungfrauhoch I feel Half fare card is better and for Titlis both offer 50% offer.

If anyone can help me reagarding how to use my swiss half card to buy 50% reduced tickets on trams and buses it would be very helpful as I feel the tram stations dont have ticket stalls. If buying tickets everytime I board a tram/bus is not a big headache then I would prefer travelling with a Swiss Half Fare card as it is valid for 1month and cost CHF330 lesser than STP for 8days for two people.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 18:48:15 #877360

Hi drrpkesav,

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. The page has a spreadsheet to help you.

You can use the Swiss train timetable to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to “buy a ticket” the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the validity map which you can download here.

When you buy tickets from a ticket vending machine you will have the option to select Swiss Half Fare Card. When you buy a ticket from the driver, you simply show him your card.

• The thread ‘Trip with Half Fare Card vs Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.