Reserve seat on train with Swiss Travel Pass

• Garyleunghy
    Participant
    9 posts
    24 May 2018 at 17:19:26 #816205

I and my wife will visit in June and have bought 15 days Swiss Tvl Pass. I note that for most IC trains allow Seat Reservation in advance. How much does it charge each time? Method to made advance Seat Reservation, etc. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 May 2018 at 21:26:59 #886223

It is very rare in Switzerland to use seat reservations except on train trips where it is compulsory to do so – the major scenic panoramic Express trains (Glacier, Bernina an Gotthard Panorama).

If you feel the need to buck that trend you can do so here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 6:36:58 #886224

Yes, typically no one reserves seats on domestic Swiss trains so I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 12:50:41 #886225

If I may piggyback a follow up question, I think our concern or atleast my concern is what if the train is full and we dont have a seat , yes ofcourse there is always a next train but for someone like us where is time is very critical , thats why I am concerned of booking the seats

what are the odds of train filling up in the month of July between Chur to Luzern via Zurich , just your experience

having said that, i do see seat reservation is not possible !!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 15:42:41 #886226

Yes, usually seat reservations are not possible on Swiss trains. The system is designed not to need them.

It is possible that for parts of your trip the train is full but I doubt it. The timetable will also tell you if they expect the train to be busy or not. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

There is a column for occupancy rate. If there are 3 red people for your train then it is expected to be very busy. What date and time are you planning to go?

• The thread ‘Reserve seat on train with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.