Swiss Youth Hostel membership

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    6 April 2018 at 14:22:44 #815167

Has anyone purchased a yearly membership and obtained the booklet with the vouchers? The sample online says “not valid for existing bookings” for all the vouchers. So, how could any of them be used if you have a reservation, since I interpret that to be an existing booking? Unless they are only valid if one were to simply walk in and ask for accommodation without a reservation?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 7:34:27 #881172

Hi Debra,

That sounds odd. Can you post the link to that webpage you are looking at?

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 April 2018 at 15:54:18 #881173

I can’t access it from my phone but it was the membership booklet online. I tried to contact the hostel but haven’t been able to contact anyone all week. I guess it’s because of easter maybe? I hear it’s a big holiday in Switzerland. Not so much here, I even work for a catholic organization and it is not a work holiday, not even if you work on Easter Sunday.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 8:08:56 #881174

Seems odd a Catholic organization wouldn’t be closed for Easter!

Yes, most everything here is closed on the weekend except the Saturday.

Were you on https://www.youthhoste l.ch/en/become-a-member/become-a-member/ ?
    Did you get a reply?

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:08:28 #881175

Lucas I am a hospital nurse, we never close! And yes that’s exactly where I read the info. No reply as of yet. I’ll just do the daily membership, the yearly benefits sounded too good to be true, it would save a lot of money using the vouchers but sounds like there’s a catch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:44:00 #881176

Well yes hopefully the hospital doesn’t close! But surely everyone got some extra holiday pay? My mom is a nurse and loves working holidays for the extra pay.

I read the vouchers as well and it is odd. If I had to guess it means you have to be a member before making a reservation and using the voucher…..hopefully they will get back to you with a nice answer. 🙂 Please do let us know what they say.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    8 April 2018 at 17:30:02 #881177

Yes that is how I am interpreting it as well. And no, easter is straight time. We finally started getting holiday pay for the other holidays including Christmas just a few years ago. But if you don’t work it you don’t get any extra compensation or time off. But there are not many hospitals to work at so they pretty much can offer what they want and if you want to work you just go with it.

• The thread ‘Swiss Youth Hostel membership’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.