SwissTravel Pass, Mürren-Venice: Italian tickets

• ASRN
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 July 2022 at 16:23:08 #827756

Hello,

Hoping to obtain information regarding the most expeditious way to travel from Murren to the Santa Lucia train station, in Venice. We will have the Swiss Travel Pass. I’m looking to book our Italian train tickets now, however am concerned about times and which Italian ticket to purchase. Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I’m finding this portion, of our trip, somewhat overwhelming. Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    12 July 2022 at 21:06:46 #944242

Hi ASRN,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on the SBB timetable, the quickest way to travel from Mürren to Venice is via Domodossola. The whole journey takes about 7 hrs 45 mins. With the Swiss Travel Pass, your journey from Mürren to the border is fully covered. All you need is a ticket for the Italian portion of your trip. You can find information about tickets to Italy here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

This is a long trip. I recommend breaking your journey and spending a night somewhere near the border, maybe Brig or Domodossola, before continuing your journey to Venice.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2022 at 21:36:06 #944243

The most efficient way of travelling from Murren to Venezia is to get to Brig and take EC37 which travels direct from Switzerland to Venezia. That way you board a Swiss train whilst still in Switzerland and stay on it all the way to Venezia.

To do that you need to leave Murren at 07.06, and travel via the usual route out of the Jungfrau region, ie via Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken Ost to Spiez. At Spiez take train IC806 departing at 08.36.

Arriving at Brig, there will be a 33 minute wait at Brig, which would be useful for getting supplies – there is a Migros supermarket just outside the station.

ASRN
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 July 2022 at 16:26:24 #944244

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick reply and the information. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate any information you may have regarding what specific Italian train station I need to purchase a train ticket, for the route you described above. (For example, would Domodossola to Venice be correct?)

Again, many thanks! I’m grateful for all the input I receive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 18:00:32 #944245

If you travel via Spiez and Milano Central to Venezia, you’ll cross the border at Domodossola. In case you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass, you just need to get an Italian train ticket from Domodossola to Venezia.

Learn more about how to travel to Italy from Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. You can buy your Italian ticket here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price

Ildiko

• The thread ‘SwissTravel Pass, Mürren-Venice: Italian tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.