Itinerary for Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux in Dec

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 19:04:33 #824215

Hi there,

I am planning a trip in Dec with my wife and I have done some research based on which I’ve planned the below Itinerary.

Please can you advise if I need to make any changes in the below itinerary?

23 Dec – Paris to Zurich early morning train – Zurich to Lucerne I’ll buy Swiss travel Pass for 8 days overnight stay at Lucerne

24 Dec – Mount Titlis – overnight stay at Lucerne

25 Dec – Mount Rigi – overnight stay at Lucerne

26 Dec – Mount Pilatus – overnight stay at Lucerne

27 Dec – Lucerne to Interlaken early morning train. Keep the bags in hotel and then go Lauterbrunne ( Staubbach Falls) back to city and then take a bus 141 to Schilthorn – sight seeing at Mount Schilthorn – Overnight stay at Interlaken

28 Dec – Take Belle Epoque train on the Golden Line between Zweisimenn and Montreux. Overnight Stay At Montreux

29 Dec – Take the train from Montreux to Zermatt – keep the bags in hotel – take a cog wheel for Gornergrat – Cable car from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn – Overnight stay at Zermatt

30 Dec – Take the Glacier Express train from Zermatt to St Moritz – Overnight stay at St Moritz

31 Dec – St Moritz to Zurich – Rhine falls – Overnight stay at Zurich

1st Jan – Train from Zurich to Venice

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 October 2019 at 5:58:02 #923740

Hi Amitrane0007,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1) There’s no need to travel via Zurich to reach Lucerne. You’ll get there quicker if you get off the train from Paris in Basel and change there instead of in Zurich.

2) You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online, so you will save time and catch the first available train to Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

3) The Staubbach Fall may or may not be worth visiting late December. With low temperatures there will be little or no water. The Rhine Fall always flows but December is not the best time: http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls. One of these walks is worth it on your Schilthorn day though:

4) The rest of your plan looks good to me, but do take into account that the weather is very variable, so it may not be suitable for mountain visits every day: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather.

5) One more option is to avoid going back north to Zurich. Instead, you can take the Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano across the Bernina Pass. Proceed to Venice from there. I’d prefer this option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2019 at 18:42:21 #923741

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I’ll take a train from Paris to Basel as it saves an hour also will take the Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano and from there I’ll take another train to Venice.

I would appreciate if you can suggest me some good resorts or hotels for a night in Zermatt, Montreux and St. Moritz as I would be visiting during peak season and most of the places would be already booked.

If the weather is bad and if I can’t visit any of the mountains like Pilatus, Schilthorn Rigi or Titlis can you suggest any alternate places which I can visit?

Also please can you advice do special trains like Glacier Express or Golden Pass line stop operating due to bad weather ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 6:48:19 #923742

Hello Amitrane0007,

I have attached a link for traveling to and from Switzerland, as you make your way to Paris, etc.

Please take a look at the these links to help plan your accommodations while you are in: Zermatt, Montreux and St. Moritz

I will attach a link to give you inspiration in case the weather is not ideal when you are here and you could make alternative activity plans:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

Special trains like Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) or Golden Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) will operate under nearly all weather circumstances. Only in case of extreme weather, such as heavy rainfall, snowfall or storms blocking or endangering parts of the railroad, trains may not run for a short while. I would recommend downloading the Switzerland train timetable app and there you get real time information of the schedules and rail traffic information.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2019 at 8:06:41 #923743

hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much this is really helpful.

I’ve few more queries need your help on this

1) I am trying to book seat reservation for Glacier Express for 30th Dec which season should I select (Low/Mid) as Dec dates are not shown below. Seat reservation price for Glacier Express is CFH 41?

Seasons 2019

High season = 30-May-2019 – 15-Sep-2019

Mid season = 30-March-2019 – 29-May-2019 and 16-Sep-2019 – 13-Oct-2019

Low season = 01-Jan-2019 – 29-March-2019

http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /passholder-fares-glacier-express

2) I am trying to book seat reservation for Bernina Express for 31st Dec but it says you can buy ticket only 2 months in advance. Please can you confirm the price is only CFH 5 for seat reservation?

shop.rhb.ch/en/bernina -express/

3) Do I need to book seat reservation for Golden Pass line from Interlaken Ost to Zweisimenn and Montreux. Please can you let me know what is the price and share the link if possible.

4) I am not able to any hotels in Zermatt and St Moritz for 29Dec and 30 Dec can you provide me some links for home stay I would prefer to stay close to the station.

5) For special trains like Glacier Express and Bernina Express I’ll have to show Swiss Travel Pass and Seat reservation ticket separately to the ticket checker?

6)I don’t see any train from Tirano to Venice on 31st Dec please can you provide me the link from where I can book the train tickets?

7) Is there any app which I can use for booking seat reservation for Glacier Express and Bernina Express which will give me discounted fare?

Anna
    6362 posts
    19 October 2019 at 9:52:13 #923744

hi Amitrane0007,

1. Seat reservation on the Glacier Express on 30th Dec would fall under low season and the price is CHF33 per person: https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/t ickets.

2. Seat reservation on the Bernina Express is CHF10 per person for travel in December. There were some technical issues with the RhB website the past few days and visitors had problems buying tickets online. Try again and see if it works. Alternatively, you can book through the retailers we linked to here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages

3. It is not complusory to make seat reservation on the Golden Pass line, however you are encouraged to reserve seats on the Zweisimmen and Montreux leg as this route is quite popular and considered the best section.

4. Links to accommodation in Zermatt and St Moritz

5. Yes you are obligated to show your Swiss Travel Pass and seat reservation ticket when asked: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ howtouse.

6. Train from Tirano to Venice. In Tirano, the Italian Trenord station is walking distance from the Rhätische Bahn station. The Italian regional trains link Tirano with Milan Centrale and from Milan you can take a connecting train to Venice. You can check times at https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable and buy tickets online at https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly.

7. I’m not aware of any app that does that, unfortunately 🙂

Best regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2019 at 17:49:36 #923745

Hi Anna,

I am really grateful that you and your team are answering all my queries which is helping me to plan my itinerary.

I tried my best but I am not able to find any hotels in Zermatt and St Moritz so I’ve decided to change my itinerary.

I can see that both Glacier Express and Bernina Express take the same route from Chur hence I decided instead of doing Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz and then Bernina Express train from St. Moritz to Tirano I can take the Bernina Express from Chur so that I can enjoy the experience of both Glacier Express and Bernina Express.

Please see my below itinerary and let me know if it looks good.

23 Dec – Paris to Basel early morning train – Basel to Lucerne I’ll buy Swiss travel Pass for 8 days overnight stay at Lucerne

24 Dec – Mount Titlis – overnight stay at Lucerne

25 Dec – Mount Rigi – overnight stay at Lucerne

26 Dec – Mount Pilatus – overnight stay at Lucerne

27 Dec – Lucerne to Interlaken early morning train. Keep the bags in hotel and then go to Mount Schilthorn via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp

28 Dec – Interlaken to Zermatt day trip -> take a cog wheel for Gornergrat – Cable car from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn – Overnight stay at Interlaken

29 Dec – Take Belle Epoque train on the Golden Line between Zweisimenn and Montreux. Overnight Stay at Montreux

30 Dec – Montreux to Chur – > Overnight stay at Chur

31 Dec – Chur to Tirano via Bernina Express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2019 at 10:48:09 #923746

Hello Amitrane0007,

It’s good to see you’re planning out your itinerary nicely!

I will include some information on Lucerne for you:

Here is some detailed information on the three mountains you plan on visiting in Lucerne:

I have also included some links about Interlaken:

I have a links about Zermatt and your day trips:

Here are some information on Montreux and the Golden Pass Train:

Here are hotel suggestions when you are in Chur:

For more information like this, be sure to check this link out:

Lastly a link about the Bernina Express:

I hope all this helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2019 at 17:41:04 #923747

Hi Suzanne,

Can I go ahead with the above itinerary? Everything looks good to you and its doable? Righto

I was planning to book Glacier Express from Brig to Chur on 30th Dec but unfortunately there are no seats available.

Please can you provide me links to book seats for Belle Epoque train?

Should I stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2019 at 11:12:42 #923748

Hello Amitrane0007,

Thanks for your questions. That is unfortunate that you were not able to book tickets for the Glacier Express. Seats may still be available through other retailers. Please use the links at:

I have attached a link with the Golden Pass, within that journey, some of the Belle Epoque trains are on the route. All you have to do is click the below link:

There you will see a picture of a clock, and a short write-up how to search for the trains that are Belle Epoque.

Whether to stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen is a personal preference. You know yourself the best and what you would prefer. I will attach some links about Lauterbrunnen and again with Interlaken. From there please check the pictures of those towns (see the links above, and click on the label “Pictures”).

Lauterbrunnen:

Interlaken:

Interlaken is a busier town and more “touristy” compared to Lauterbrunnen, which is quieter. You and your wife will be vacationing the month of December, which is considered off- season. Thus, Interlaken will probably have a wider selection of amenities open in comparison to Lauterbrunnen. I hope that helps you decide which would be ideal for your travel plans.

Happy planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2019 at 18:36:08 #923749

Hi Sussane,

Tickets are available on the below link but the price is showing CHF 30 whereas it should be CFH 33? Righto

Please can you advise should I go ahead and book the tickets as the price is showing CFH 30? Also Passholder Pass -Glacier Express means -> Swiss Travel Pass?

I’ve booked my 8 days swiss travel pass from Swiss Tours.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/t ickets

Regards,

Amit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 6:50:08 #923750

Hello Amitrane0007,

Thanks for your questions!

Just to clarify, you wanted to purchase the Glacier Expressseat reservation and the price is 30 CHF? If I click the the Glacier Express seat reservation under HappyRail, I get the same amount…30 CHF . Prices can vary slightly per retailers. You can go ahead with reserving the seats for you and your wife.

Passholder fare means that you have a train pass (in your case it’s the Swiss Travel Pass“) that covers the ticket costs, so you’ll only pay for the seat reservation costs. That’s the fare you can select.

Glacier Express is the name of the train tour.

It’s great you purchased the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days. I know you and your wife will have a wonderful time in Switzerland. Please make sure to pack some warm clothes and shoes with a good tread sole. The weather is getting quite chilly now in Switzerland.

I hope that clears thing up.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2019 at 3:00:17 #923751

Hi Sussane

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it.

I’ve booked my seats for both Glacier Express and Bernina Express.

I need a small advise can i do golden pass line day tour from Interlaken. This is what I am planning take a normal take train to Zweisimenn and from there take the Benoque train to Montreux.

Do some local sight seeing like visit lake Geneva and then take a normal train from Montreux to Interlaken.

Next day i can take a train from Interlaken to Brig.

Regards

Amit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2019 at 6:01:52 #923752

Hello Amitrane007,

Thanks for your question!

I am glad to know you were able to book seat for the Glacier and Bernina Express.

Yes, you can do the Golden Pass line tour from Interlaken. Which means, when you are based in Interlaken, and that is one of the train stops on the Golden Pass line, you can board there. Please check the timetable before you start the your trip.

Here is information on the Golden Pass line route:

Here is some links about Geneva:

Montreux:

Brig:

Happy planning Amit!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2019 at 8:46:01 #923753

hi Suzanne,

Apologies I just realized that I was calling you Sussane my bad 🙂

I’ve booked my hotels in Lucerne for 4 nights and Interlaken for 3 nights and now I just to need to book my 1 night stay at Chur. I would mostly likely book Centre Hotel Post as it close to the train.

Thanks for all your help and support.

Once I am back from my Trip will share my feedback with you and your team.

I would like to know can I fly drone in Switzerland or do I need to take permission from the local authority?

I had booked my Glacier Express tickets from Happy Rail and I’ve got an email from them with the travel dates but it doesn’t have proper ticket details like seat number or QR code details. I’ve dropped an email to HappyRail for the same.

Regards

Amit

Anna
    6362 posts
    26 October 2019 at 9:23:34 #923754

Hi Amitrane0007,

Glad to know your travel plans and bookings are coming along nicely.

Regarding you question about using drones during your travel, please refer to this earlier thread and click on the link there. Hopefully that will help 🙂
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/using-camera-drones-in-switzerland

We hope Happy Rail will address your concern soon but if you still don’t hear from them, please drop us a note with your reference number. Meanwhile, more information about the Glacier Express here.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

Cheers,
    Anna

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 October 2019 at 15:25:57 #923755

Hi Amit! You may have only received a confirmation e-mail from HappyRail and not the actual seat reservation yet. This may take one working day, so just wait until Monday and then see if you get the seat reservation with all necessary details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 12:55:32 #923756

Hi Anna/Annika,

I got a reply from HappyRail they have received heavy bookings hence there is delay in sending the tickets. They have informed me that they would be sending me the tickets shortly.

I am taking the Bernina Express on 31st Dec from Chur to Tirano, arriving at Tirano station at 12:48. I don’t see any trains after 10th Dec from Tirano to Venice.

Do you know if there is change in timetable after 10th Dec and from where can I book the tickets from Tirano to Venice?

As per the 10th Dec time table there are trains at 13:08 and 15:08. I would rather spend 2h in Venice instead of Tirano. Thus, is 20 minutes enough if I book the 13.08 train to get from where I arrive at the station to the gate for my next train? Are there any additional checks, security, etc. that I need to watch out for?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 14:08:16 #923757

hi Anna,

I got an email from HappyRail that the seats on 30 Dec is fully sold out and they have cancel my order and they will refund the amount.

Is there an alternate website where I can try my luck for Glacier Express?

Regards

Amit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 18:00:04 #923758

Hello Amit,

You can try any of the options in below links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages
    shop.rhb.ch/gex_en/spe cials/daytrips/glacier -express

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2019 at 9:32:53 #923759

hi Steph,

There are no seats available on 30 Dec for Glacier Express.

Please can you advise what is the frequency of normal train from Interlaken to Brig and from Brig to Chur?

Is there an alternate route which I can take to reach Chur faster? I would prefer to reach Chur late in the afternoon or evening so that on that day I can do parasailing in Interlaken and then take my train from Interlaken to Brig and from Brig to Chur.

If the train frequency is not good then I’ll have to skip the parasailing plan.

Regards

Amit

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Itinerary for Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux in Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.