15 day itinerary Pontresina, Zermatt, Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 22:17:56 #813147

Hi,

I am visiting Switzerland with my wife from 11th Sep 17 to 25th Sep. Here is my tentative plan.

11th Sep :Arrive at Zurich airport at 6AM

11-Sep stay at Pontresina- visit St. Moritz

12-Sep stay at Pontresina- visit Diavolezza

13-Sep stay at Pontresina- Visit Corvatsch11-Sep stay at Pontresina- visit St. Moritz

14-Sep travel/stay to Zermatt- visit NOT DECIDED(will reach zermatt at around5pm)

15-Sep stay at Zermatt- Visit ‘Klein Matterhorn – Glacier Paradise’ in morning and Gornergrat in afternoon(Is it really possible)

16-Sep stay at Zermatt- visit NOT DECIDED

Lucernce is my base for next 7 days

17-Sep travel/stay at Lucerne- Visit – Take a boat ride in lucerne lake

18-Sep stay at Lucerne- visit Mt. Pilatus

19-Sep stay at Lucerne- Visit Mt. Rigi

20-Sep stay at Lucerne- visit Mt. Titlis

21-Sep stay at Lucerne- Visit Jungfraujoch region(Can make one night stay in Jungfraujoch region since it is far from Lucerne)

22-Sep stay at Lucerne- visit Jungfraujoch region and back to Lucerne

23-Sep stay at Lucerne- Visit Bern

24-Sep stay at Zurich- visit Lucerne

25Sep Fly back

1. Is rhine falls really worth the pain?
    2. Can you suggest the places i can visit where i have NOT DECIDED
    3. Is Matterhorn in morning and Gornergrat in afternoon really possible?
    4. Is it better if i buy 15 dy STP or are there any regional passes for each region i am visiting so that
    5. i can buy 3 regional passes? Because only free cable car here is Pilatus for all other i need to spend over the STP.
    6. Which sim card i can buy?what plans? I am mainly concerned about the internet/data while travelling.
    7. Mostly i will not get the reservation for GEX,so How much time other trains will take to reach Zermatt?

Excuse me for the long list of questions.

Thanks in advance,

Pranav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 September 2017 at 2:47:11 #869321

Hello Pranav,

You asked Which sim card i can buy?what plans? I am mainly concerned about the internet/data while travelling.

The official MySwissAlps guide is here http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

I went a little off piste and went for the Salt Prepay. Go to http://www.salt.ch/en/prepay/ and cancel the popup message which hides the actual prepay deal (attached). You can read about my experience here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/around-switzerland-via-stp-flex-and-sbb-mobile-app

Arno
    15479 posts
    2 September 2017 at 7:00:21 #869322

Hi Pranav,

1. I’m not sure what pain you’re aiming at 🙂 Our page http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls gives you an idea of what to expect, so you can decide yourself. If you’ll visit them, then do so from Zurich. You seem to have planned to visit Lucerne from Zurich on September 24 while you just stayed in Lucerne in the prior days. You’d better visit something near Zurich, and the Rhine Fall is one of the options.
    2. Please see the activity section on our Zermatt page.
    3. Yes, if you start early.
    4. Buying multiple passes is usually more expensive than one pass for your entire stay. The 15-day Swiss Travel Pass would indeed be a good option. I you want to compare pass options in details you can do the math as explained here.
    5. See answer 4.
    6. Please see our SIM card tips.
    7. As you will travel from Pontresina to Zermatt I would definitely take the Glacier Express as it’s the most convenient option. But you can take regular trains too, on the same tracks with the same views. All schedules are in the timetable.

I hope this was useful!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 September 2017 at 7:07:05 #869323

Hi Pranav,

Seeing you want to see Jungfraujoch perhaps you might consider a couple of nights at say Wengen between your stays in Zermatt and Luzern. Jungfraujoch from Luzern is a long day on trains and you will be doing a lot of going over the same tracks if you do day trips from Luzern to Bernese Oberland where there is much to see and do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 7:23:35 #869324

Hi everybody ,thank you very much for the replies.

@Arno: you spotted it!!! Hahaha..

“24-Sep stay at Zurich- visit Lucerne”

This is just a copy-paste left without editing..i am definitely not going to lucerne from Zurich

The pain to visit rhinefalls is that my all days are already occupied 🙂 … And i will have to make adjustments to arrange the slot for it.

What are things i can do in jungfraujoch. I have gone through the sites and the forums..but i find it confusing.

Can anyone write it for me in simplified way.

Arno
    15479 posts
    2 September 2017 at 9:34:27 #869325

Ah, I see 🙂 I would not put the Rhine Fall too high on your to-do list. Skip it if you run out of time as you’ll be seeing so many other wonderful things already.

Did you also check our Jungfraujoch page? There’s a link in Rockoyster’s post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 9:55:10 #869326

Arno: one basic question, :), how can i tag you guys while replying?

Did you also check our Jungfraujoch page?

I have seen lot many Jungfraujoch pages , but before troubling you i will look at it again and get back to you guys.

Arno
    15479 posts
    2 September 2017 at 13:41:49 #869327

Hi Pranav,

What do you mean by tagging? Everyone participating in this thread will receive an email about each new post, if that’s what you mean. That’s automated, you don’t need to do anything for that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 14:42:17 #869328

Hi Arno,

I read and summarized the plan for Jungfrau region, please correct me.

Please note that i am buying 15 days STP.

How to go to Schilthorn?

Train- Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen

Bus- Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Schilthornbahn

Cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren: free

Cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn: 50% off

41.1 chf pp

How to reach Jungfraujoch?

Wengen -Jungfraujoch via Kleine Scheidegg

http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn/ang ebote/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe

132 CFH pp return ticket

I assume it’s just the train journey and no cable car.

So once i buy the return ticket it’s mentioned that the train takes stops at two stations viz. eiger and Monch.

My concern is that, can i hope off and on the trains,that is change the train, because i would like to explore around if there is anything.

Is one ticket valid if i change the trains whil ascending or descending? I am going up and down only once and not multiple times.

Hope my question is clear.

I also read about Allmendhubel, please suggest me if i get any different experience after visiting Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.

Can i buy tickets for these trip at the train/cable car stations? if yes then where exaclty? Becasue i don’t want to buy them in advance.

And I can buy the STP at last min from SBB website and print it at home and keep copy on my phone, right?

Thanks,

Pranav

Arno
    15479 posts
    2 September 2017 at 15:25:08 #869329

Hi Pranav,

Your plan looks perfectly fine to me. There’s no cable car to Jungfraujoch, only trains. Your ticket is valid for the day. There are various stations between Wengen and Jungfraujoch where you can get off and take another train to continue. However, the stations Eigerwand and Eismeer are kind of special (I think you mean those). They’re basically a cave where the train stops for 5 minutes to take a look out of the window. There’s nothing else to explore there, and I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed/allowed to stay there. Just board the same train again after a few minutes.

Jungfraujoch prices can be found through our page at myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch: go to the Price section and click the link in the bottom. You can buy the tickets at any staffed train station in Switzerland or online.

Allmendhubel is a green meadow with good views. Very different from Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn indeed.

Yes, you can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home via the SBB tourist web shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t recommend to literally buy the last minute, but rather a few days before you leave. Normally they will e-mail the pass within hours or even minutes, but it could take 1-3 business days sometimes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 15:34:02 #869330

Thanks Arno for that loong reply to my loooong question. 🙂 and thanks everyone else as well.

I was planning to buy them min just to see if they anounce any promotions by any chance..but now i will buy tomorrow immediately

• The thread ‘15 day itinerary Pontresina, Zermatt, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.