Switzerland 3 days 4 cities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2015 at 3:31:58 #807390

Hi,

I’ll travel as a big family group (7 adults and 1 child) in Switzerland for 3 days. I would like to have some advices on the itinerary (Lucerne > Interlaken > Bern> Geneva)

Ist day(30/6):

We will travel from Paris to Basel (07:23-10:26am) and plan to catch the train to Engelberg (11:04-12:53am) to go up to Mount Titlis. Then take the evening train(6:01-6:49pm) train to Lucerne

1. We would like to use the baggage service to send 5 of our baggage to Bern train station,can we collect it on 3rd day morning (2/7)? Is it CHF12 per item?

2. We would like to buy Swiss Pass for 3 days at Basel station, could you please advise whether it is the most suitable pass for us after reviewing our whole trip? Thanks

3. Do you think half an hour will be enough for us to buy the swiss pass and order for baggage service? or should I buy the Swiss Pass in UK first so that I don’t have to spend extra time on validation

4. If I can’t catch the 11:04 train from Basel to Engelberg, the next train would be an hour later, so that means I can only reach Mount Titlis about 3pm, do you think we will have enough time on Mount Titlis? I’m afraid there would be a long queue in the cable car station that will further delay our ascending time.

2nd day (1/7): Heading to Jungfraujouch

7:05-8:55am Take the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Lucerne to Interlaken

9:35-10:09am Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald

10:17-11:52am Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch

Return3:00-3:50pm Jungfraujoch to Kleine Scheidegg, have a short break

4:31-5:21pm Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen, have dinner and a short walk

7:33-7:54pm Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost

8:00-8:52pm Interlaken to Bern to stay overnight

1. I know if we have Swiss Pass, we only need to buy the ticket from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch with 25% off but where can we buy it? There’s only 8 minutes for us to change the train at Grindelwald station.

2. I would like to have a short walk in both Kleine Scheidegg and Lauterbrunnen areas, how can I buy the tickets? Buy separately at different stations? or just buy a single ticket from Jungraujoch to Lauterbrunnen and hop on hop off the train atany station I prefer?

3rd day (2/7):

Half day trip in Bern and half day in Geneva

Could you please advise if the overall trip sounds alright or it will be too rush? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2015 at 9:52:18 #843785

Hi michelle0309,

I can see you’ve given this much thought so my compliments for that! It’s a tight schedule. It’s doable, but you don’t have the flexibility to make changes along the way if the weather isn’t good. If you’re willing to take that risk to should all work out. Now, for your questions:

1. Yes, it’s CHF 12 per item. Please see myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage for details and links.

2./3. I would recommend the 3-day Swiss Travel Passes for the adults. The child travels for free with the free Swiss Family Card you can order along. You can obtain the passes online through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk and print them at home. That way you don’t need to go to a ticket office and switch to your next train immediately. Much more comfortable I think. You can buy the passes in Basel if you go to the ticket office with all 8 of you and their passports, but I don’t know how long it will take. Could be 15 minutes, but it could be longer if there’s a queue. If you buy online you save time and possibly money too as you can pay in GBP, so no banking fees or exchange rates that determine the final amount.

4. It’s quite late in the day to go up a mountain, so I expect you’ll arrive after the crowds anyway. Try to catch the first train from Basel. Clouds usually come in in the afternoon.

Day 2:

1. You can buy tickets at any staffed station in Switzerland.

2. In any case you can hop on and off trains as you like. If you explain which part of the route you’ll be walking, they’ll sell you tickets without you paying for that section.

• The thread ‘Switzerland 3 days 4 cities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.