5 days in Switzerland -fitting in panoramic trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 13:01:11 #814401

Hi,

We are group of 8 people including a 3 year old kid and plan is for 4.5 days trip.

We are starting from Innsburk, Austria

We want to cover jungfraujoch train, golden pass train (Interlaken to Montreux.), Glacier Express (Brig to Chur), Bernina Express (Chur to Tirano).

Day 1:

Travel in train from St.Gallen to Interlaken.

Visit lake Thun boat ride. Stay at interlaken

Day 2:

jungfraujoch trip and return back to interlaken for overnight stay.

Day 3:

Take an early golden pass train and reach to Montreux. (Interlaken to Montreux).

Then travel to Brig from Montreux to catch Glacier express.

Board Glacier express from Brig and reach to Chur.

Overnight stay at Chur.

Day 4:

Take Bernina express from chur to Tirano and travel back to chur.

Overnight stay at chur.

Day 5:

Travel from chur to Zurich via train.

Sightseeing in Zurich.

Take late night flight from Zurich to London.

I am doubtful about day 3 plan where i am covering Golden pass train and Glacier express in one day.

Is it possible? whether the timings will match?

And shall i go for 4 days swiss pass or anything else?

Please suggest.

** Please ignore mistakes about City names.

Many Thanks

Girija

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 16:53:58 #876540

Hi Girija and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, day 3 is impossible. The Glacier Express typically leaves Brig around 10:00am and to take the Golden Pass route from Interlaken to Montreux is 3 hours + 1.5 hours to Brig.

I would leave out the Bernina Express on this trip – too many trains and back tracking that day.
    The Glacier Express can be taken as far as St. Moritz which overlaps about 1/2 the Bernina Express trip (between Chur and Tirano).

So after the Golden Pass take a train on to Zermatt for one night and then the Glacier Express on day 4 to St. Moritz & day 5 on to Zurich.

Timings will very on the trains (I don’t know when your travel dates are) so be sure to check schedules on the Swiss railways timetable here. When searching for the Golden Pass route you must enter VIA Zweisimmen & make sure the train is denoted as MOB panoramic between Zweisimmen – Montreux

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 22:13:22 #876541

Hello Girija,

With Lucas’ plan you get to see Matterhorn.

Alternate if travel dates allow is to do Golden Pass to Montreux after Jungfraujoch on day 2. Stay overnight then on to Brig for GEX to Chur on day 3.

Day 4 BEX to Lugano for overnight there.

Day 5 Lugano to Zurich.

St Gallen to Lucerne via Rapperswil will take you on the Voralpen Express. Then Lucerne to Interlaken. Both nice rides. And two more to add to your scenic train rides collection. 😎

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    18 February 2018 at 2:01:26 #876542

What month of the year are you traveling?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 February 2018 at 2:18:09 #876543

You asked about what sort of pass to get.

Before you can know for sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

It is possible that an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass will be the best value even though you won’t use all the days. You don’t say whether you are staying in St Gallen after arriving from Innsbruck but if you are then the STP would cover the Swiss leg of that journey on Day Zero.

Compare prices for the 4-day and 8-day Swiss Travel Passes and the Swiss Half-fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 10:12:55 #876544

Hi,

Thanks for the useful info.

My travel date is between 08th Jun t0 12 June. 2018.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 13:24:09 #876545

Hi,

Need assistance in finding whether a train is Panoramic train or not.

Any specific symbols will be there for golden pass, Glacier and Bernina Express which i have to refer while checking time table.

Note: My travelling date is from 08th Jun to 12th Jun.

Many Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 17:35:24 #876546

The Glacier Express is denoted as GEX & the Bernina Express is BEX on the timetable.

The Golden Pass is MOB Panoramic (panoramic trains run just between Zweisimmen and Montreux).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 7:09:12 #876547

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the information.

Considering time constraint I want to know how much time be required for boat ride in Thun lake and Interlaken caves visit.

As we are going to buy STP for Switzerland, so from where we can book tickets for boat ride.

And also did not find any specific timetable of boat ride. Please suggest.

I am going to reach Zurich by 10:00 A:M on 12th Jun and flight to London is at 10:00 PM.

Please suggest places to visit during this period.

Cheers,

Girija

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 7:53:47 #876548

Hi Girija,

You can find a link to a PDF schedule for Lake Thun on our Lake Thun page here (under more on other websites).

The boat ride is free with the Swiss Travel Pass – be sure to read our validity page on the Swiss Travel Pass so you don’t buy tickets you don’t need. 🙂

You can find our suggestions on activities in Zurich here. Perhaps an easy hike along Üetliberg mountainoverlooking Lake Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 16:46:33 #876549

Hi Team,

On my last day of Swiss Trip, my plan is to go to Zurich from Chur and want to do sightseeing in Zurich.

As my travel dates are from 8th June to 12th June and i am opting for 4 days swiss pass.

So my pass will be valid till 11th June. I have to buy tickets on my last day i.e on 12th June.

So please guide me whether i can opt for 1 day swiss pass?

whether it will be cost effective.

Many Thanks

Girija

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 19:25:07 #876550

Hi Girija,

The 1-day travelpass will cost you CHF 74 . A point-to-point ticket however will cost you CHF 41. Another alternative is the Saver Day Pass. If you purchase them at the right price between 30 and 10 days before travel it should cost you CHF52.

• The thread ‘5 days in Switzerland -fitting in panoramic trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.