7 day trip to Lauterbrunnen & Lucerne in mid March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 8:58:53 #814512

Dear Everyone,

I am Raj from India leaving in Dubai

Greetings of the day!

I am travelling with my wife & 12 YO son on March 16th 2018. I have selected 2 bases for 3 nights. First in lauterbrunnen or Wilderswill and second in Lucern.

Need few tips.

1. Lauterbrunnen is colder and less of Sun than Wilderswill

2. I am reaching there by 2.30 to 3 pm so which place can be cover that day as we will have only next 2 more days for longer trips.

3. As I learnt Swiss family pass once for all transports one time can be bought where my son can travel free. I where can I buy passes ?

4. Zermat, Montreux can be done along with Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald during these 2 days ?

5. Bern could be done along with Montreux ? or its better from Lucern

6. Since we are from Dubai and not familiar with extreme cold, what would be the weather during our stay as on website checking weather are different in past years from 2016.

7. In Dubai we are habitual for many strict rules relates socially, Is there anything like to be mentioned from your side.

Kindly advise.

Thanks & regards

Raj

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 14:16:47 #877254

Hi Raj, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. Lauterbrunnen is located at a higher altitude than Wilderswill, but it won’t make a huge difference in temperature. Lauterbrunnen is probably a nicer place to stay.
    2. You might just want to explore the village and visit the Staubbach Falls which are an easy walk from Lauterbrunnen station.
    3. The Swiss Family Card allows your son to travel along for free. You and your wife need to travel with a Swiss Travel System rail pass. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”.
    4. I wouldn’t do Zermatt and Montreux during these 2 days. You could do Montreux taking the Golden Pass route, but it would be a very long day. Alternatively you could go from Lauterbrunnen to Zermatt via Montreux. Stay over in Zermatt and continue your trip to Lucerne. Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald can be done during these two days. Are you also considering visiting the Jungfraujoch?
    5. A day trip to Bern is better from Lucerne or Lauterbrunnen.
    6. Read more about the weather in Switzerland here. It will not be warm (certainly not at higher altitudes) compared to the temperatures you are used to. Expect temperatures around 6 to 8 degrees Celsius. Expect the mountain tops to be cold, below 0 degrees Celsius.
    7. The Swiss greet one another frequently; in stores ,when passing in the street and on hiking trails. Bitte (please) and merci or danke (thank you) are also appreciated in Switzerland.

Be sure to check:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 15:10:45 #877255

Dear Chantal,

Thanks a ton for your prompt reply with valuable tips.

I will be definitely visiting Jungfraujoch as I have my tentative bookings at Lauterbrunnen and Wilderswill ( one need to be cancelled ) Someone has suggested me that Lauterbrunnen is in Deep valley so no sun reaches during March.

Anyways will opt for besties.

Thanks once again

Raj

• The thread ‘7 day trip to Lauterbrunnen & Lucerne in mid March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.