Switzerland 7 days trip Wengen, Luzern, Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2017 at 21:51:12 #812512

Hi Team,

At first, I would like to thanks all volunteers for supporting this forum to helps many tourists.

I will be travelling to Switzerland with family (1 Child – 4 Years) from 12 July to 18 July . Based on the various suggestions provided in this forum, I have made this itinerary. It would be great , if the team can review and provide suggestions

1. Got the Swiss Travel Pass (Print @Home) for continuous 8 days, so I assume there is no need of validation of my passes.

2. We will be landing Geneva on 12 July and will be departing from Zurich on 18 July

Base location for Stay: Day 1 & 2 Wengen , Day 3,4 & 5 : Luzern , Day 6 : Zurich

3. Day 1: (12-July) : Travelling from Geneva Airport to Wengen with below train route as we thought of experiencing the Golden Pass Route .

Geneva Airport to Montreux to Zweisimmen to Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

Queries:(a) We have reserved the Seats from Montreux to Zweisimmen . Do we need to reserve tickets from Zweisimmen. to Interlaken Ost.?

(b) Whether the route from Interlaken Ost to Wengen is covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

(c) I assume, we will have space availble to keep our luggage (Big Suitcase) in Golden Pass Line Trains.

Day 2 (13-July) : Interlaken local Area, Evening Boat Trip to Thun to Interlaken

Query: Can you please share the link for timetable for the boat timings

Day 3 (14-July) : Wengen , Grindelwald and then travel to Lucerne (via Interlaken Ost)

Query: Assume, there is no need of any seat resevation for travel from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne

Day 4 (15-July) : Luzern to Mount Titlis Trip

Day 5 (16-July) : Luzern to Pilatus and any other place which can be included in the Itinerary

Query : Heard that we can cover this trip with combination of Boat & Train. Can you please share the details of the same.

Day 6 (17-July) Luzern Local Places, Luzern to Zurich via Train , Zurich Local places

Day 7 (18-July) : Rhine Falls (Early morning trip ,if possible) and returning to hotel to catch the flight at 2.30 PM

Kindly suggest the above itinerary is feasible , as we have 4 Year Child. And also please suggest alternative options if any places where kids can enjoy (Museum, Chocholate Factory , Chocholate Train etc.,)

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 11:12:20 #866229

Hi Partha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lets take a look at your questions.

1. No need to reserve from Zweisimmen to Interlaken
    2. Yes, the route is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass – see a map of what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here.
    3. Yes, there is space for luggage on all Swiss trains
    4. The timetable for all forms on transit in Switzerland is here.
    5. No need for reservations from Lucerne to Interlaken
    6. You can read about how to get to Mt. Pilatus here.
    7. You can read about what to do in Zurich and Luzern on these links

I hope this helps you with your travel plans – let us know if you have more questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 16:49:18 #866230

Thanks Lucas for sharing the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 20:33:37 #866231

Hi Lucas and Team ,

Thanks for your earlier response. We require additional help on Day 2 & Day 3 Planning. Sorry for this big mail.

As informed earlier, we are family with 4 Years child and having Swiss Travel Pass.

Day 2:

Section 1 : Wengen to Interlaken OST to SPIEZ to Thun

Section 2: Thun to Interlaken (Boat Trip)

I tried to use the timetable shared http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable . But I am not able to find the Boat trip from Thun to Interlaken. Can you please help me on it.

(1) And also can you tell me the last boat departing time from Thun to Interlaken ?

(2) Do we need to make any reservation for the Boat Trip , even if we have Swiss Travel Pass?

Section 3: Interlaken OST to Scynige Platte

(1) It seems the last train from Interlaken OST is at 16:35. Can you please confirm , there will not be any trains or transportation after that time?

Section 3A: Interlaken OST to Murren:

If Section 3 is not possible, We would like to go with Section3A route.

(1) Whether this route is covered as part of Free travel with SWISS Travel Pass covers or Do I need to get separate ticket (where I will get 25% discount) ? ‘

(2) Whether any reservation is required for this Section of the route.

Section 4: Murren to Wengen:

Whether this route is covered as part of Free travel with SWISS Travel Pass ?

Day 3:

Section 1 : Wengen Local sightseeing . After that I need check -out the hotel and need to move to Luzern to change my Base location.

Section 2 : Wengen to Interlaken OST

Section 3: Interlaken OST to Luzern

We are thinking with the below 2 Options . Can you please guide us on the option based on your recommendation.

Option 1 : Interlaken OST to Brienz via Boat and then to Luzern.

(1) Is it possible to board the boat with our luggage (including one big suitcase) ?

(2) Assume , this boat will be covered as part of Swiss Travel Pass (with free of cost) .

Option2; Interlaken OST to Luzern by direct train.

And a general query: It would be really helpful, if you can share any link or information on the availablity of Public or Paid toilets (Wash Room) in Wengen , Luzern etc.,

Sorry if there are any typo errors on the Swiss name’s.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 5:20:10 #866232

Hi Partha,

>> But I am not able to find the Boat trip from Thun to Interlaken. Can you please help me on it. And also can you tell me the last boat departing time from Thun to Interlaken ?

You can find the boat timetables here:

http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-2017.pdf

There are different timetables for different times of the year, so be sure to look at the appropriate one.

>> Do we need to make any reservation for the Boat Trip , even if we have Swiss Travel Pass?

No reservations are needed (or possible).

>> Interlaken OST to Scynige Platte … It seems the last train from Interlaken OST is at 16:35. Can you please confirm , there will not be any trains or transportation after that time?

That’s right. The 16:35 departure from Interlaken Ost is the last one that will enable you to get up to Schynige Platte.

If you take that connection, you will get to Schynige Platte at 17:37, and the last train down from Schynige Platte is at 17:53 so you would have only 16 minutes there. There is a 200-metre gradual uphill walk from the station to the viewpoints, so all you would be doing is rushing up the hill, taking a few photos and rushing back to the train.

If I were you, I would go up no later than 15:35.

>> Interlaken OST to Murren: Whether this route is covered as part of Free travel with SWISS Travel Pass covers or Do I need to get separate ticket (where I will get 25% discount) ?

Interlaken Ost to Mürren is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Lucas provided a link to the Swiss Travel Pass validity map.

If you download that, your questions about where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid will be answered. As explained in the legend on the map, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the pass.

>> Whether any reservation is required for this Section of the route.

No.

>> Murren to Wengen: Whether this route is covered as part of Free travel with SWISS Travel Pass ?

Yes.

>> Interlaken OST to Brienz via Boat and then to Luzern. Is it possible to board the boat with our luggage (including one big suitcase) ?

Yes.

>> Assume , this boat will be covered as part of Swiss Travel Pass (with free of cost) .

Yes.

>> It would be really helpful, if you can share any link or information on the availablity of Public or Paid toilets (Wash Room) in Wengen , Luzern etc.,

Public toilets:

> Wengen railway station: downstairs, at the back of the station. If I remember rightly, they are free.

> Mürren railway station: half way up/down the stairs. Free, if I remember rightly.

> Luzern station: take escalator down to the level below platforms. Attendant, fee payable.

> Brienz: at railway station. Coin in slot, 1/2 Franken coin (as at Sep 2016).

In general, there will be toilets at railway stations and mountain-top restaurants, as well as at many cable car stations etc. Look for the WC sign, or ask for “WC, bitte?” – pronounced approximately “Vay Tsay, bitteh”. Damen is ladies’, Herren is men’s.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 11:09:00 #866233

Thanks Alpenrose . Shared Information from this forum will be really useful for our trip.

• The thread ‘Switzerland 7 days trip Wengen, Luzern, Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.