About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Switzerland and Austria train trip in April
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Switzerland and Austria train trip in April

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Trionabros1
Trionabros1
3 posts
Jan 3, 2022 - 7:40 PM

Hi there. Planning an 8 or 9 day trip to Switzerland and Austria in April. We are flying into Zurich and back home from Vienna. We plan on getting the train from Switzerland to hallstatt then on to salzburg and Vienna. We want to cover lucerne, interlaken and St moritz and possibly leicenstein as a day trip from Zurich. Can anyone advise any good itinerary or suggestions. We are looking at day trip from Zurich also covering mount tiltis. I work with Irish rail so I have train passes. Thanks in advance . Triona

Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
198 posts
Jan 4, 2022 - 5:05 AM

Pl clarify how many days in Switzerland and Austria each along with interested sightseeing. If you have any tentative plan pl share and ask for specific questions

We welcome specific questions for specific answers

Cheers

Danielsan
Danielsan
222 posts
Jan 4, 2022 - 5:11 AM in reply to Trionabros1

Hi Trionabros1,

Thats a lot of itinerary there. I would suggest going from Zurich to Lucerne if you want to see Mt Titlis, as its only about a 40 min. train ride to Engelberg. Then head down towards Interlaken. (There is an awful lot to see around that area. Not sure how long you're planning, or what interests you may have.) From Interlaken may I suggest going to Brig, via Spiez and possibly catching the Glacier Express to Chur, or all the way to St. Moritz (where it ends). Or just take the local train to Chur. Chur would be your closest point to go to Liechtenstein, which is north. But St. Moritz is about two hours south. This would be just a general suggestion that would not have you backtracking and is somewhat of a straight line. As I said earlier, there is an awful lot you are trying to squeeze into just 3-5 days before heading into Austria. Look at a map. Decide what your interests are and go from there. This site is a wealth of info as you'll see. Lots of links will be posted for you to look through. Enjoy, and have a great trip. I would assume there will be a lot of snow still, which will make for some beautiful scenery from all the trains.

Danielsan

Anna
Anna
1808 posts
top member &
Jan 4, 2022 - 10:31 AM in reply to Trionabros1

Hi Triona,

Happy New Year and welcome to MySwissAlps.

I agree with Danielsan, you can easily do a day trip to Lucerne and Interlaken from Zurich. And depending on how much time you plan to spend in each destination, it is also possible to combine Lucerne and Interlaken in one day. If you prefer guided tours or just want to get some ideas on planning an itinerary, have a look here: www.myswissalps.com/zurich/activities

Similarly, it is possible to combine a trip to Liechtenstein and St Moritz in one day. Perhaps better enroute to Austria by spending a night in Chur, which is located along the way. You can use the SBB timetable to plan your train journeys.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Trionabros1
Trionabros1
3 posts
Jan 4, 2022 - 12:15 PM in reply to Shroffchetan

Thanks all. i know its a lot to get in in the amount of time. very grateful for your suggestions

shroffchetan -- we arrive into zurich on friday 29th and depart vienna for home on sunday 8th may

want to spend the last 2 days in vienna and we just want to cover a few train trips really .

would it be better to give one of places a miss like st moritz or Liechtenstein rather than trying to cross country to do both

thanks again

triona

Anna
Anna
1808 posts
top member &
Jan 4, 2022 - 2:45 PM in reply to Trionabros1

Hi again Triona,

I'd just like to add that Switzerland is a small country and with proper planning there's a lot you can cover in 6 to 7 days.

If you really want to include Liechtenstein and St Moritz in your itinerary, I suggest travelling to Buchs SG from Zurich and making it a base for 1 or 2 nights. From Buchs AG you can continue your journey to Vienna easily with the train.

For information about tickets to Austria, you can find details here: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/austria

Regards,

Anna

Trionabros1
Trionabros1
3 posts
Jan 4, 2022 - 5:17 PM in reply to Anna

Thanks so much Anna . Really appreciate the advice . Triona

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022