Zürich Luzern and Mürren/Wengen late April

• bgrobertson
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 February 2017 at 3:24:54 #810756

Hi – we are traveling to Switzerland for the first time. We’re arriving in Zurich on 4/21/17 and flying out early on 5/1/17. when we land in Zurich we are planning to catch a train to Luzern for 2-3 nights. We would then like to go to either Wengen or Murren and stay for 4 nights. We would love to see Thun and i understand we can do that as a day trip. Then we were considering going to Zermatt and taking the Glacier Express. We’re not sure if we want to go all the way to St Moritz or jump off along the way and stay in another town. We have a reservation by the airport on 4/30/17 and fly out the next morning. We are hoping to get into Zurich early in the day so we can explore .

Does this sound doable? My fear is that due to the time of year there may not be much open/available in Wengen or Murren. We would love to hike but I understand we may be a little early in the season. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 10:37:52 #858763

Hi bgrobertson and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your trip seems quite reasonable. I would get off the Glacier Express in Chur and return to Zurich from there at the end of your trip.

Yes, late April is off-season for hiking and smaller towns like Mürren or Wengen will have some restaurants and hotels closed for a few more weeks. Hiking will be limited to lower altitudes as well due to winter being in full swing on the mountains.

Interlaken or Luzern are great destination towns for the alps (at that time of the year I might stay longer in one of them than Murren or Wengen) but there will still be things to do and see there as well. Have a look through these linked pages to see what you can see and do in those towns (keeping in mind the limitations at that time of year in Mürren and Wengen).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Zürich Luzern and Mürren/Wengen late April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.