First timer to Bernese Oberland, then where?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2019 at 20:25:59 #823909

Hello everyone! I’m really hoping someone can help as there seems so much information and I have so little time to properly read through everything to help me! We are hoping for a week in August, travelling with two kids who will be 4 and 6. As first timers I think the BO region will give us the most exciting scenery (perhaps staying in Wengen?) and the kids will enjoy the trains.

But (And I know this is perhaps a bit silly) I suspect the kids might like the experience of a hotel with a swimming pool to finish, perhaps one with a beautiful view etc. So far I’ve seen the marchenhotel in Braunwald which looks good and The Alpina in Gstaad. Is it crackers to try and travel from the BO to one of these areas for a posh hotel with pool? Any feedback on either hotel or area? Is the scenery really similar or will we get something else out of having moved? Or any similar type hotels nearer the BO? So sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    19 September 2019 at 5:26:25 #922381

We just stayed at the Beausite in Wengen, which has a very nice large indoor pool. The junior suite (and most of the rooms) have a lovely view.

If you want posh, Badrutt’s Palace in St Moritz was amazing: they’ll even pick you up at the train station in a rolls Royce! Enjoy.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    19 September 2019 at 11:17:23 #922382

If you are interested in a posh hotel with a nice pool and views check out Riffelalp Resort in Zermatt. The pool and spa are first rate and the pool has a great view of the Matterhorn (see my thumbnail photo, the pool has the same view ). Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 September 2019 at 19:03:31 #922383

Hi Catskids-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps-

<<“Is it crackers to try and travel from the BO to one of these areas for a posh hotel with pool?”>>

Yes. See other posts in this thread.

Not only is it “crackers” whatever that means, it is unnecessary. 😉

Slowpoke

disantor
    Participant
    28 posts
    20 September 2019 at 20:18:39 #922384

I’m not sure I’d do posh hotel for the pool- that really limits your choices. It depends on what you think the kids would love and what fits best for you.

Here’s an alternative that worked for my kids– depending on what you are really looking for. It is not posh, however, good for families and there is a pool. We stayed in Murren (not as busy as Wengen). Kids loved the soccer field, ping pong, and indoor pool (free with guest pass for those staying at local accommodations). We stayed at Fontana Chalet hosted by Denise Fussell <[email protected]> creaking but charming place in self-catering apartment. It was across from the Coop. Kids loved having food that we could prepare or get from the coop. Spacious. Breakfast was included every morning. We also walked to the playground at the top of town (and I do mean hike up).

Why did we love it? – soccer field nearby, coop nearby, walked to cable car and trains, kids hike at Allmendhubel after taking the funicular, kids rented bikes locally and we road around, take incline to a children’s area, incredible views. Quaint and charming, Denise was lovely too. You can get a half fare card and then a Holiday pass in summer that for around $110 per adult and $30 per child that allows you unlimited transport between Schiltorn, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, and Stechlberg including the post bus. I do not see the advertisement for the Holiday pass but it was here. schilthorn.ch/en/ It does not include Wengen area, but the half fare card gave us discounts for travel outside of the Holiday Pass (which was discounted with our half fare card).

We did go to Wengen for the Mannlichen to Kleine Sheiddeg hike – but the small town of Murren met our needs with pool, ping pong, and soccer field to run around on. There are many other places in Murren – I mention where we stayed given proximity to the coop. There are posh places here, but a paucity of outdoor pools.

Rachael

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 September 2019 at 5:20:48 #922385

Hi Rachael-

Sounds like you found a wonderful place.

There is also a nice pool in Wengen. Many Swiss towns have extensive public sports facilities.

wengen.swiss/en/summer /product/page/openair-swimming-pool-764/

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘First timer to Bernese Oberland, then where?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.