Switzerland for 5 days with Zurich as a base?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 3:06:47 #814649

Hi All,

I am a headed to Zurich from London the morning of May 7th. Originally from Toronto, going to Paris for 5 days and then London for 5 days and on to Switzerland for 5.

Plan is to see the following sites and if you can direct me on how i can with the Swiss rail system and how long it takes to see them and if i can do everything as day trips from Zurich and use that as a home base or I have to stay in Interlaken to make it happen.

Jungfraujoch and the Bernese Oberland
    Lucerne
    Mount Titlis
    Mount Pilatus
    Grindlewald

Headed into Zurich morning of May May 7th need to leave Zurich morning of May 12th to Paris, flight is back to Toronto afternoon of the 12th.

I want to see the beautiful alps and see more nature, no museums or anything like that.

If anyone can help me out that would be great, a bit overwhelmed with how to get around Switzerland and coming up with an itinerary .

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 7:58:24 #877941

Hi sajidakhtar and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you want to get out into the mountains and avoid cities and museums than Zurich is not the place to base yourself. It is the “big city” here and too far from the mountains to be useful as a base.

I would consider both Lucerne and Grindelwald as bases for your trip.

In order to see what is workable for you, use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips. Lucerne to Jungfraujoch is 4 hours one-way for example, but Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch is 1hr 20min.

For rail passes have a look at our rail pass overview. You have 6 days roughly, an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass may work well for you or have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 16:32:25 #877942

Hi Lucus,

Thanks for your response. Is there anything of note that is close to Zurich that i should see? As in any peaks/mountains to make a day trip of or best to skip it all together?

I guess Lucerne is more in the middle, i will look into this. I presume more places to stay as opposed to Grindlewald?

Now my boss is just told me to go see Zermatt, getting me all confused!

I have been thinking of the Swiss Pass definitely will get that or the half fare pass depending on the budget.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 17:13:01 #877943

Hi sajidakhtar,

Yes, it is hard to see everything here in a limited time! Zermatt is a good opportunity to see the Matterhorn but Zermatt is a a bit of a trip.

The closest mountains of note to Zurich are the mountains you are planning to visit (Pilatus and Titlis). which are much closer to Lucerne. I’d skip Zurich.

Lucerne is much bigger than Grindelwald – so lots of places to stay. Here are some suggested hotels there.

To help you compare rail passes you can do the math on our spreadsheet here: How to choose the best rail pass.

• The thread ‘Switzerland for 5 days with Zurich as a base?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.