Switzerland for 9 days – itinerary around Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 3:29:44 #813463

Hello,

I am planning my Europe travel along with my family(3 Adults, 1 Child) and planning my stay in Switzerland from 20-Oct to 29th Oct.

My plan of stay:

Luzern (20~25th Oct), St. Moritz( 25-27th Oct) and Zurich 27-oct to 29th Oct .

I have already taken Swiss TRavel Pass as we plan to travel lot.

While i stay in Luzern, I plan to cover Luzern City tour, Interlaken, Rigi, Titlis, Jungfrau and one day tour to Monterux.

Does this plan sounds good? I also came to know that Oct is not right time to visit Jungfrau as it will be closed. Is that true? I am worried that we will end up not seeing jungfrau after spending so much effort and money.

Pls suggest me is the plan workable?

In case if we can travel to Jungfrau, Do i have to reserve day tour ticket from Interlaken with discounted price or we can directly go to the Interlaken station and obtain the passes on that day of travel?

thank you

Anbu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 8:49:55 #870735

Hi Anbu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think your Lucerne day trips are possible – use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out the trips and see if the time required is ok for you and your family.

From Lucerne to Montreux you can travel on the Golden Pass route which is a nice panoramic train. There are three sections of the route with at least 2 transfers just so you know (it isn’t one train for the whole trip).

Jungfraujoch is indeed open – it is open year-round. Some mountains will close their cogwheel train and/or cable cars for maintenance around this time though so be sure to check that before going. Both Mt. Rigi and Mt. Titlis have closures in November.

You do not have to purchase tickets in advance – I would recommend waiting anyway to be sure the weather looks good before paying all that money to see clouds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 4:50:44 #870736

Thank You Lucas for your information.

So, Lucerne to Montreux back to Lucerne in ONE day is possible.. Is that correct? In this case, how much time I may have so that to spend in Montreux?

Appreciate your response. thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:13:01 #870737

Yes it is possible.

You can use my timetable above to plan out the trip. How long you have in Montreux depends on how early you can/want to leave Luzern and then how late of a return you want.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2017 at 7:49:12 #870738

Hi Anbu,

>> St. Moritz( 25-27th Oct)

Unfortunately these dates coincide with the closure period for mountain transport in and around St Moritz. The final day of operation is 22 October, and they remain closed for maintenance until early-mid December.

I have seen conflicting information about whether or not the Diavolezza cable car will be operating, but you could make enquiries locally about that.

How do you intend to get to St Moritz? The Glacier Express will not be operating between 23 October and 9 December, but you can still make the trip on regional trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2017 at 11:26:00 #870739

Just a suggestion. If you can not make to Jungfrau or other places look on Geneva. Also Rhine falls from Zurich will be nice too 1/2 day trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 October 2017 at 23:26:36 #870740

Hi Anbeswaran –

Lucas pointed you to the timetable to answer this question

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

<<“Thank You Lucas for your information.

So, Lucerne to Montreux back to Lucerne in ONE day is possible.. Is that correct? In this case, how much time I may have so that to spend in Montreux?”>>.

The timetable is your friend. 😉

It will answer that question.

If you use it to study the answer to your question, you will find that there are faster routes back to Luzern from Montreux than the Golden Pass. If you take the slower and more scenic Golden Pass route to Montreux during daylight hours, then you might consider returning by the faster route through Lausanne and Bern, if it happens after nightfall.

The scenic Golden Pass route is slower than the route through Bern. Nicer scenery. More chance to look at it.

When you use the timetable to track the times for the Golden Pass route, make sure that you include Zweisimmen as a “via.”

The other necessary “via” is Meiringen, but, the time table will automatically pick that route even if you do not insert that “via” because it is the fastest way ( the timetable defaults to the fastest route).

That part of the Golden Pass route is called the Luzern -Interlaken Express.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Switzerland for 9 days – itinerary around Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.