Switzerland for adventure in 2 days from Lindau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 13:32:52 #814836

HI MySwissAlps Team,

Myself Nitin, I’m in Lindau, I have seen this website and its really helpful and got much information.

I want to roam Switzerland for adventure purpose for 2 days (24 and 25th March 2018).

We are 4 people having budget of 600 euro.

So could you please help us,

– Where to go ?

– How to go ?

– Where to stay ?

Awaiting your response,

Thanking you MySwissAlps Team.

Warm Regards,

Nitin P.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 17:20:25 #879096

Hi Nitin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There is certainly a lot to do in Switzerland. What do you and your group want to see and do while here? Visit the cities and museums or go into the mountains?

Are you planning on traveling by train? It is the easiest option here for sure. Have a read through various rail pass options here & use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out the trips.

Have a look at our links here if you haven’t already to help you get an idea of what you’d like to do:

What to do in Switzerland
    Where to go in Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 17:43:27 #879097

Thanks for replay,

We would like to do some adventure their. So in these season is their any adventure to do?

And yes we are traveling their by train, but for local travel we’ll prefer to go by bus. So we looking for some pass for 2 days so that we can travel by train and by bus as well in single pass.

Thanks again.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 March 2018 at 21:13:03 #879098

Hello Nitin,

So are you departing Lindau on the morning of March 24 and returning to Lindau on the evening of March 25 ? Are you already travelling with a EurailPass or some other European Railway Pass ? Once you provide this information it will be easier for people to give you some advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 21:22:46 #879099

Thanks for concern Peterli,

Yes you right, I’ll depart from Lindau on morning March 24 and expect to return evening March 25.

And I dont have any Pass right now, just have Lindau local bus pass.

Thanks

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 March 2018 at 22:15:30 #879100

Hello again Nitin,

Sorry I have not been keeping up on this thread, and it appears nobody else is ! Anyway, you are not looking at a major Swiss trip, basically one night on March 24 (yikes, that is only four days from now) in Switzerland. If you don’t want to spend too much time on trains and other forms of transport, why not go to nearby Saint Gallen and Appenzell ? If you have good clear weather on either day (or both) you might want to go by train and post bus and then cable car to the top of the Säntis, the highest mountain in north-eastern Switzerland. Here is a camera that gives you a pretty good idea of the view from up there (unless it is night-time or cloudy). It is night right now but give it a look in about fifteen hours: saentis.roundshot.com/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 1:15:08 #879101

Definitely stick to the Appenzell area. Much underrated it is lovely. The express train from München to Zürich calls at Lindau and St Gallen so you will not waste much time travelling.

Take the train from St Gallen to Appenzell ( a great little place). From the hills above St Gallen on the railway to Trogen you can almost see Lindau in the distance!

http://www.appenzellerland.ch /en/service-contact/brochures

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 March 2018 at 4:21:07 #879102

Hi Nitin,

Here (attached) is a map of the general area both 1960man and I are referring to. This map is from SwissTopo, and I have added blue indicators for Lindau, St.Gallen, Appenzell, and the Säntis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 6:24:43 #879103

Hi napatil15,

I hope you found some good ideas on everyone’s replies! There really aren’t any short 2 day rail passes (or other) for the St. Gallen/Appenzell area you are looking at. So buying point to point is the best option for that area.

Though there is an Appenzeller card that a hotel you stay in may offer: http://www.appenzell.c h/en/accommodation/app enzeller-card.html

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 March 2018 at 8:41:27 #879104

HI Lucas, Nitin, 1960man, and anybody else following this thread

I was interested to read about the Appenzeller card Lucas mentioned. I assume that it is similar to the Neuchâtel Tourist Card, which is really nice for travelers. Here’s a copy/paste of part of what they say on the Neuchâtel Tourism site:

The Neuchâtel Tourist Card is a pass which enables each visitor staying for a minimum of one night in a hotel, bed&breakfast or holiday apartment in the canton of Neuchâtel to benefit for free from:

the public transport system of Neuchâtel (train, funicular and bus)

an entry to 25 museums in the canton

a cruise on lakes Neuchâtel and des Brenets

a 1 day bicycle rental in Neuchâtel, La Chaux-de-Fonds or Le Locle

a trip on the chairlift in Buttes-La Robella

A complete description of this card is at: http://www.neuchateltourisme. ch/en/transport/public -transport.10009/neucha tel-tourist-card.12058.html

I just checked and I am afraid our friend Nitin will not be able to benefit from the Appenzeller Card since it requires a traveler to spend three nights at the same place. He’s only going to be in Switzerland for one night. Readers should note that the Neuchâtel Tourist Card is given for a minimum of a one night stay.

However, on the Appenzeller Card page, there is a downloadable map in PDF that other potential visitors to the Appenzell area might find interesting. They describe the card as “The Best Visitor’s Pass in Switzerland” ! Unfortunately, it appears that the cable car that goes up to the top of the Säntis is not included in the benefits, but maybe they will add that in the future. Who knows ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 10:42:49 #879105

Hi Guys,

You all guys awesome, I really didn’t expect this much reply. So much appreciated.

If I decide to go Appenzell, I can manage 3 nights their

– Leave from Lindau on 23rd in between 5-7pm

– Then I will leave from Appenzell on 26th in between 6-7am.

But I have arise some questions as,

– Do I get pass online or On Hotel on request ?

– And what is the price for this pass ?

– And if we buy it in group of 3-4 then does it have offer ?

And If I decide to go Neuchâtel, then where do I get this Neuchâtel Tourist Card, Thisfor my information or it may help other too.

– Do I buy online or may I get it in hotel if I ask for pass?

– And whats the price for this pass ?

– And if we buy it in group of 3-4 then does it have offer ?

Thanks again guys.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 12:58:39 #879106

If it included Säntis it would definitely be the best visitor’s pass!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 March 2018 at 15:13:14 #879107

Hej Lucas !

It certainly would improve it’s place in the rankings ! 😉 I’m looking at the Säntis Roundshot right now and the visibility is next to zero. Lots of snow up there. Check it out ! saentis.roundshot.com/

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 March 2018 at 15:37:51 #879108

Hi Nitin,

It looks like you will qualify for the Appenzeller pass (one for each person) if you stay in the same accommodation for three nights. Are you sure you want to do that ?

However, if you are now thinking about staying three nights in Switzerland, other possibilities further from Lindau open up. Mind you, this time in March is kind of between seasons and the weather is sometimes not that great. How is it in Lindau today ? If you want a change in weather, you could take the train down to Lugano in the Italian-speaking Ticino.

If you still want to do the Appenzell three night visit, then go for it. The pass is free for each of you in your group. I would check ahead with the hotel where you figure you would stay to make sure that they are in the program. If you get a nice sunny day, even though I am pretty sure that the Säntis is not included with the card, I would still go up. You won’t regret it. The view is fantastic. But not today ! Check this camera: saentis.roundshot.com/

As for Neuchâtel, I would not go all across Switzerland at this time of year just to be able to take advantage of their Tourist Card. Like I said, this is the between season and it’s better to visit in Summer or Autumn, I would say May to the end of October are the best months.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 22:29:46 #879109

Hi Peterli,

Yes we are ready to go Appenzeller. Now Lindau has little snow fall whole day and cold than usual.

I’m worried about that, can I miss something if I go in this season their, specially snow skiing and others like cable car or any adventure ? I mean I just want to ensure that it should not be like odd time for Appenzeller to visit.

I saw some hotel, they where much costly, and everywhere I found hotel just for 2 guest for 1 room, as we are 3-4 people and it will be costlier for us.

As Santis is not included in Appenzeller card, but If I go how much it will be costlier for us ?

Thanks

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 March 2018 at 1:53:45 #879110

Hej Nitin,

Here is the page showing prices for the Säntis cable car. saentisbahn.ch/en/cabl e-car/prices/ I assume you will be going up and down on the cable car, so that price is CHF 45.00 or EUR 38.15. Not cheap but worth it if the weather is good ! The last time I went up there were people going up with their skis ! Brave souls. Too bad this is not covered by the Appenzeller card. But the bus ride to the base of the cable car, at Schwägalp, is included. Check the map I sent to you yesterday.

If you are finding the cost for three nights in a hotel in the Appenzell is too much, and your accommodation costs in Lindau are much lower, you might want to reconsider the idea of spending three nights in Switzerland. Then you can, as Lucas earlier suggested, buy point to point tickets.

Also, if the weather predictions for the days you would be in Switzerland are unfavourable, you might want to give some thought to my suggestion of going to Lugano and back (with one night in Lugano or somewhere nearby). If you decide to do this make sure you only take the Gotthard-Basistunnel route one way, and take the older route via Göschenen the other way (or both ways). Looking out the windows of a train running for over 57 kilometres gets pretty boring (pardon the pun). Mind you it only takes about 20 minutes as the trains can run at speeds as high as 250 km/hr.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 March 2018 at 5:58:22 #879111

Hi again,

I just checked the Säntis Roundshot and the view up there right now (06h50) is fantastic ! saentis.roundshot.com/

• The thread ‘Switzerland for adventure in 2 days from Lindau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.