Switzerland: hotel smoking policy

• Mafcon
    Participant
    7 posts
    11 March 2023 at 19:50:49 #829303

Hello,

We need non-smoking rooms in hotels while traveling in Switzerland as I allergic to smoke. As I am making reservations, I do not see an option to select non-smoking rooms. Is smoking banned in hotel rooms by law in Switzerland? Do I have to request nonsmoking rooms specifically during reservation? Thanks for your answers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    12 March 2023 at 0:33:15 #952044

Hi Marvin—

From our experience last summer, many hotels in Switzerland do ban smoking in their rooms, while allowing it outside on balconies. I would contact the hotels you are interested in directly and ask about their policy.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    12 March 2023 at 17:37:35 #952045

Hello Mafcon,

Smoking indoors has been prohibited in Switzerland for over ten years. If the hotel is advertised as a smoke-free hotel, then smoking on the balcony is also not allowed.

Per EASW, it’s best to contact the hotel(s) you are interested in and confirm their smoking policies. Some hotels allow smoking outside in designated areas, for example on the outdoor terrace.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Switzerland: hotel smoking policy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.