Switzerland in 4 days – rail pass suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2017 at 14:59:01 #813320

HI guys! I ve been confused as to what pass I should purchase for our 4 day trip to switzerland on Oct 18-21. here’s our itinerary:

Oct18- travel by plane from Milan to Geneva, daytrip around Geneva, travel in the evening by train to Interlaken. Interlaken will be our base.

Oct 19- Travel around interlaken, grindelwald, lauterbrunnen, paragliding, back to interlaken

Oct 20- travel from interlaken to Mt. Titlis. travel back to interlaken

Oct. 21- in the morning, check out of interlaken travel by train to Paris, france.

What would be the best pass you could recommend for me? as Ive been more confused reading online. Second, any suggestions to improve our itinerary around switzerland on a budget?

Hoping for our help and tips.

thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 7:20:56 #870029

Hi MYoung and welcome to MySwissalps!

If you want a rail pass to cover all your trips, then you will want a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will cover all your trips within Switzerland (you’ll have to buy a ticket from Basel to Paris only). It doesn’t always cover all mountain trips either, for example, it doesn’t fully cover Mt. Titlis, where you get 50% off the ticket cost from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis. Be sure to check the coverage area here, if you are planning on visiting any mountains around Interlaken as well.

The only way to change your itinerary for budget reasons would be to restrict yourself to areas and mountains that are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass – I’m not sure if you want to do that or not, but if you do have a look at the coverage area link above.

We do have a list of things you can do to save money in Switzerland noted here (such as eating at grocery stores like Migros and Coop among other ideas).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 13:36:12 #870030

Thanks a lot for your reply. We will go for the Swiss TRavel Pass. I have another question though, is it possible for me to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass at Geneva Airport, once we arrive by plane? Or, is it cheaper to order ahead online? Also, my concern is on how to claim the ticket and I have read that it is delivered to our address when we order online. Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2017 at 17:39:05 #870031

Hi MYoung,

Yes, you can buy the pass at the airport train station during opening hours (it’s closed from 8:15 PM). However, it’s more convenient and the same price, to buy online. You can simply print the pass at home, and the PDF document you’ll receive through email is a handy backup in case of lost or theft. Apart from that you can skip the ticket office queue and board the first available train straight away. If you visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en you can select the Swiss Travel Pass and fill out the start date and number of passengers. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days but often within hours or even quicker. Further purchase options are listed here.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Switzerland in 4 days – rail pass suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.