Switzerland in 4 days - rail pass suggestions

Switzerland in 4 days - rail pass suggestions

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MYoung
MYoung
2 posts
Sep 21, 2017 - 2:59 PM

HI guys! I ve been confused as to what pass I should purchase for our 4 day trip to switzerland on Oct 18-21. here's our itinerary:

Oct18- travel by plane from Milan to Geneva, daytrip around Geneva, travel in the evening by train to Interlaken. Interlaken will be our base.

Oct 19- Travel around interlaken, grindelwald, lauterbrunnen, paragliding, back to interlaken

Oct 20- travel from interlaken to Mt. Titlis. travel back to interlaken

Oct. 21- in the morning, check out of interlaken travel by train to Paris, france.

What would be the best pass you could recommend for me? as Ive been more confused reading online. Second, any suggestions to improve our itinerary around switzerland on a budget?

Hoping for our help and tips.

thanks a lot!

Lucas
Lucas
8941 posts
expert &
Sep 22, 2017 - 7:20 AM in reply to MYoung

Hi MYoung and welcome to MySwissalps!

If you want a rail pass to cover all your trips, then you will want a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will cover all your trips within Switzerland (you'll have to buy a ticket from Basel to Paris only). It doesn't always cover all mountain trips either, for example, it doesn't fully cover Mt. Titlis, where you get 50% off the ticket cost from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis. Be sure to check the coverage area here, if you are planning on visiting any mountains around Interlaken as well.

The only way to change your itinerary for budget reasons would be to restrict yourself to areas and mountains that are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass - I'm not sure if you want to do that or not, but if you do have a look at the coverage area link above.

We do have a list of things you can do to save money in Switzerland noted here (such as eating at grocery stores like Migros and Coop among other ideas).

Last modified on Sep 22, 2017 - 7:22 AM by Lucas
MYoung
MYoung
2 posts
Sep 23, 2017 - 1:36 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a lot for your reply. We will go for the Swiss TRavel Pass. I have another question though, is it possible for me to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass at Geneva Airport, once we arrive by plane? Or, is it cheaper to order ahead online? Also, my concern is on how to claim the ticket and I have read that it is delivered to our address when we order online. Thanks

Arno
Arno
11177 posts
expert &
Sep 23, 2017 - 5:39 PM in reply to MYoung

Hi MYoung,

Yes, you can buy the pass at the airport train station during opening hours (it's closed from 8:15 PM). However, it's more convenient and the same price, to buy online. You can simply print the pass at home, and the PDF document you'll receive through email is a handy backup in case of lost or theft. Apart from that you can skip the ticket office queue and board the first available train straight away. If you visit www.swissrailways.com/ en you can select the Swiss Travel Pass and fill out the start date and number of passengers. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick "Online Ticket" from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days but often within hours or even quicker. Further purchase options are listed here.

Enjoy your trip!

Last modified on May 17, 2018 - 11:50 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018