Looking for icy mountains in Switzerland in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2016 at 0:25:11 #808352

Hi, my family and I will be going to Zurich on 4-7APR.

We plan to make Zurich our base and then make a one day trip to see the alps. We hope to see the icy alps, but is unsure if they will still be available during our visit. Our first option is the Pilatus, but if it’s not gonna be as icy, we are okay with Jungfraujoch. While the rest of the days will be just within Zurich or it’s vicinity.

Are you able to tell if it is still a good idea for us to go to Pilatus on that early Apr to see the alps? Or do you have other suggestions that may allow us to see it?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 February 2016 at 16:14:11 #848090

Hi annie505, thanks for joining us!

In early April, mountain tops are generally still covered by a thik layer of snow. However, Pilatus isn’t as high as some other mountains, so there are no guarantees. If you want to be sure of snow and ice, I recommend Jungfraujoch or Titlis instead. Jungfraujoch is at 4h20 from Zurich, so that will be a long travel day. Titlis is closer to Zurich; about 2h20.

Depending on your exact plans, a rail pass like the Swiss Half Fare Card may be more economical than buying regular tickets.

• The thread ‘Looking for icy mountains in Switzerland in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.