9 day trip Zermatt, Jungfrau, Lucerne in April

• jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    19 December 2017 at 5:12:40 #813841

Please suggest changes to my itinerary, 4 adults & 2 kids ages 5 & 10.

Day 1 : Zurich to Zermatt (night stay) Check in hotel, , Gornergrat

Day 2 : Zermatt (night stay), Matterhorn glacier paradise

Day 3 : Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen,Trummelbach falls (night stay)

Day 4 : Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen (night stay)

Day 5 : Schilthron, Lauterbrunnen (night stay)

Day 6 : Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne (night stay), Harder Kulm (enroute)

Day 7 & 8: Mt.Pilatus, Mt.Titlis, Lake Lucerne, Lucerne (night stay)

Day 9 : Zurich airport.

Is this doable?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2017 at 11:30:55 #873028

Hi jatinsmehta, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary. Yes this is doable.

Do you have already information about the different Swiss Rail Passes? If not, please make sure to check out this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses. Let us know if you need any more information about scenic train trips.

You may also want to read the following pages:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2017 at 13:20:14 #873029

Hi jatinsmehta,

Here is some information about the operating status of various attractions you are planning to see in April. You didn’t mention exactly when in April you will be travelling, so with a bit of luck, most of these won’t affect you.

>> Day 3 : Trummelbach falls

Trümmelbach Falls reopens at the beginning of April after the winter closure, so this should be OK.

>> Day 5 : Schilthron

The cable car to the Schilthorn will not be operating between 23-27 April.

>> Day 6 : Harder Kulm

Harder Kulm funicular will reopen after the winter closure on 14 April.

>> Day 7 & 8: Mt.Pilatus

The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm will not be operating, but you can go up and back on the cableway from Kriens.

Everything else on your list will be operating.

Alpenrose

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 December 2017 at 3:21:41 #873030

Thanks a lot guys…One more quick question…Weather is it advisable to travel Switzerland in mid-April or mid-October..I wish to see mild to moderate snow & green pastures, I’m not a skiing person.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2017 at 7:35:34 #873031

>> is it advisable to travel Switzerland in mid-April or mid-October..I wish to see mild to moderate snow & green pastures, I’m not a skiing person.

I haven’t been to Switzerland in mid-April, but I have been there in mid-October.

Out of April and October, I would pick October, both for the look of the countryside and alps, as well as because there will be more mountain transport operating – at least until around 21 October.

In April, a lot of mountain transport is not operating. The ski season has finished, and the high-altitude hiking season doesn’t start until the second half of June, so cable cars, funiculars etc close for around 4-6 weeks so that maintenance can be undertaken. Some mountain railways also close for the winter, and don’t reopen until late May or early June. Exact dates vary from place to place.

As I haven’t been there in April, I don’t know what the countryside looks like, but I suspect it wouldn’t look as green as it does in in mid-October, especially at higher altitudes.

In winter, the meadows are brown or brownish-green (if they are not snow-covered), and it takes a while for the green to grow through again. Depending on altitude and temperatures, that may or may not happen by April.

This page might also interest you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Alpenrose

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 December 2017 at 8:30:18 #873032

Thanks a lot Alpenrose666…I really appreciate your kind gesture

• The thread ‘9 day trip Zermatt, Jungfrau, Lucerne in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.