3 days in Interlaken in Februari 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2016 at 12:57:16 #808249

Hi ,

I am planning to visit Switzerland in Feb 2016, I was planning to rent an apartment in Interlaken and then go to Jungfrau for day and then back to Interlken (is it possible ?) and then go to Mt Titlis on the other day. In some posts i read that in order to go to the mountain tops the weather should be clear.. Is that something that can spoil my trip ?

And and wanted to take train ride on glacier exp., From where should i catch the train if i am in Interlaken ?

I will be staying 3 days in interlaken. I have 2 days to spare, please suggest where i should go in these days ?

Thanks

Anshu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 January 2016 at 13:30:35 #847570

Hello Anshu, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You could definitely plan one day for a Jungfraujoch visit and one for a visit to the Titlis. The ride to Titlis is quite far from Interlaken, but it’s doable; you can check the timetable for details. Weather is an important factor indeed. If the mountain tops are covered by clouds, you won’t be able to enjoy the views and it’s a waste of money to get up. There’s no way of telling what the weather will be like during your visit. You should closely keep an eye on local weather forecasts and make your decision while you’re there. So it’s always wise to have some back-up plans like city visits or scenic train/boat rides.

Please note that you may not be able to rent an apartment for a couple of days. Hotels shouldn’t be a problem though, although I advise to start booking by now: February is high season for winter sports.

Further activities near Interlaken are described at http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken/activities.

The Glacier Express is quite far off from Interlaken, and you won’t be able to do the whole ride as day trip. You could do part of it, entering in Brig and getting out in Andermatt or Chur, but it will still be a long travel day. The Golden Pass between Lucerne and Interlaken makes more sense in your case.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2016 at 15:03:11 #847571

Hi Anshu-

Welcome to the forum.

It is possible to go from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch and return in les than one day.

The timetable and a map will help you.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch

To help with your other question..

Please tell us if you mean three full days (4 nights), or 3 nights (two days). Where will you come from when you enter Switzerland and where will you leave from Switzerland on this journey.

The Glacier Express runs from Zermatt to St. Moritz. It does not run close to Interlaken. Brig might be the closest place to pick it up, for a short part of the route. There are some months in winter when it does not run….don’t recall which. “Regular ” trains run on the same tracks/route, too.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ en/Pages/default.aspx

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2016 at 10:09:26 #847572

Thanks for your inputs Annika, Slowpoke.

Will prepare an itenary based on your responses.

I will be in interlaken for 3 full days and will enter from Zurich.

Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2016 at 14:13:47 #847573

There are frequent trains from Zürich to Interaken, taking just under two hours.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2016 at 15:26:01 #847574

Hi Anshu-

Based on Annika’s comments you might consider planning for 2 full days in the Jungfrau region, near Interlaken, and one day to visit Titlis.  A bit over three hours to get there.  Or, if you have had enough mountains, Luzern.  One hour 51 minutes by the scenic route over the Brunigpass through Meiringen.

The two days in Interlaken allow for the chance of bad weather with thick clouds up top.  The weather can change frequently up at 3500 meters in a mountainous region.  There are some places to see at lower altitudes, and you can ride the cograil train or cabnleways, if the lower altitudes are clear.

Annika mentioned contingency planning and gave some links. 

Bern is an option.  The city of Bern is about an hour from Interlaken by frequent trains and the old city is good for walking in almost any weather.  The Rosegarden is not likely to have any roses, but the views over the city are terrific.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2016 at 12:23:15 #847575

Thanks Slowpoke. I will work out an itenary based on your responses.

• The thread ‘3 days in Interlaken in Februari 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.