Lucerne in last week of November for 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 6:19:39 #816972

Dear Sir,

i have checked and researched this wonderful site and also raise my questions with the expert here and now i have a fair bit idea about of chalking of my Switzerland visit which i tentatively mentioning for further fine tuning by the experts as under:

We are family of 3 adults, as my daughter be 16 years 1 months by 23rd Nov visit and hence, swiss travel free pass till 15 years age been lost.We have already booked our hotel at Luzerns from 23rd Nov to 28th Nov departure, and we thought of taking Winter tell pass for 5 days.

We be travelling from Paris on 23rd Nov to Zurich by 11.30 am and shall be visiting Rhine fall by train to Schaffausen and as with luggage on arrival day, shall be storing our luggage at that station and shall proceeds with Rhine fall.

here i am confused as at one side of the fall there is an entry fees and i read at one place by crossing bridge ,you not only can save that entry fees but can see rhine falls the best way…..i am confused from Schaffausen after luggage storage, how and where to proceeds further to have best view and at the same time save that entry fees also?!!
    We have checked with train ticket cost and if booked in advance its coming cheaper than Cheaper Super saver day pass of CHF 52 per person.

We left with now 4 clear days of our sight seeings ie 24th Nov to 27th Nov . We shall be visiting mountains titlis, rigi ,pillatus, glacier garden and city sightseeing visit and shall consumed our further 2 days as mountain titlis and rigi can be planned in one day and another day for mountain pillatus and city sight seeings etc. One day we are keeping reserved for Jungfrouch/interlaken/Wengen from lucern as the weather permits be remain flexible and back as hotel booking already done….In these 3 days of program, for interlaken/Jungfrouch, we be taking lucern interlaken express and so my question is for other two days, how best we can incorporate fuellen boat visit alongwith those three mountains ie Rigi, pillatus and Tiitlis??!!!

Winter tell pass allowing us to save more in all 3 luzerne mountains by approx CHF 100 than Swiss travel pass and further getting 5 days winter tell pass at app CHF 167 than 4 days STP at 166 app and hence, another saving of CHF 100 each and one day more extra use of pass also.

After chalking our programme of 4 days so, we still left with one day at Luzerne and we are confused how best we can use this by using winter tell pass only!!!

I purposely elaborated my visits as others reading also get benefitted by above reasearch..and now i left with three major questions:

(a)i am confused from Schaffausen after luggage storage, how and where to proceeds further to have best view and at the same time save that entry fees also!!

(b)so my question is for other two days, how best we can incorporate fuellen boat visit alongwith those three mountains ie Rigi, pillatus and Tiitlis!!!

(c) After chalking our programme of 4 days so, we still left with one day at Luzerne and we are confused how best we can use this by using winter tell pass only!!!

Further, any other suggestions are always welcome and if there anything missing ,please fin tune the same Sir.

thanks and regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 16:07:43 #889773

Hi Hansaria,
    I’m not really understanding your use of exclamation marks. 🙂 but I’ll answer the questions as best I can!

A) If you take the train to Neuhausen Rheinfall and stay on the side of the river you won’t pay any entrance fee. If you want the best views you’ll need to pay for access on the other side (or pay for a boat trip). https://www.myswissalps.com/rhinefalls/ticket s

B) A little easier would be to incorporate a boat trip on Lake Luzern with a visit to Rigi as explained here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/rigi and then do Pilatus later in the day. Then do Titlis on its own on the next day. Use the timetable to plan out the 2 days and see what works best for you: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

C) On this last free day are you looking for another mountain trip or would you prefer something in town? Luzern activities are suggested here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne/activiti es – I’d keep the day open so you can visit a mountain that you couldn’t on an earlier day (if the weather was bad). You can see what’s covered under the Tell-Pass Winter here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpasswinter/v alidity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 6:07:15 #889774

Thanks Lucas Sir and sorry exclamation gone wrongly rather question mark……i read in Tripadvisor about the same which i re-searched and reproduced for rheinfall visit as under:

”Schloss Laufen (entry fee imposed there) is on the south bank and very close to the falls. Neuhausen am Rheinfall is on the north bank and you get a spectacular view of the whole falls from there – and it is free.

To get to Neuhausen you take a train to Schaffhausen and then a local bus. Will cost a bit more than the ZVV day travel pass. But then you will save 8frs on the entrance fee!

.. and you can have best of both. Walking across the river (bike/pedestrian path next to the Railway tracks) from Schloss Laufen station is 15 minutes, BTDT. Saves you the 8 CHF entrance fee _and_ allows using the ZVV ticket ”

Further, as i understands that the boat ride in Nov visit be closed down also.

As you mention rigi to do the first and pillatus later…Sir whether any specific reason for the same ? As per my understanding, morning webcam checking really decide my next course of action ie whether to do rigi or pillatus or titlis….or else skip the day as all overcast and raining and rather to go to interlaken/Jungfrauch, if weather permits…….

I also heard Engelberg a good place to visit from luzerne…….can you please tell me whats there to see and whether its still good to visit engelberg in Nov when all 4 mountains visit doesnt become possible in that particular day….?

Thanks and regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 15:21:32 #889775

No worries on the eclamation marks Hansaria – I was just joking around. 🙂

Yes, you should choose to the mountain with the best weather in the morning first. I didn’t mean to say Rigi in the morning is always the best option – weather first!

I haven’t been to Engelberg, but my understanding is that there isn’t a lot to see there. It is really a town used to get to Titlis (mostly). Another member may be able to give you more details on the town.

Try their local tourist website for more information: http://www.engelberg.c h/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 8:37:31 #889776

Thanks Lucas ji ,its really wonderful information site…i heard matterhorn gothard bahn also one of the better route to visit from luzerne and on winter tell pass validity, i checked with sbb timetable at 7.18 am from luzern station and got from luzerne to till sedrum its roughly 3 hours journey one way crossing to erstfeld—-goschenen……andermatt…..sedrun….

I wanted to know whether this is a good scenic visit if weather doesnt permit for mountain visit of luzern…and at this route, where we should get down to further explore any particular place nearby station etc…..Please enlighten us with your valuable advice….thanks and regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 15:01:25 #889777

Yes, the Tell Pass covers you as far as Sedrun.

The train trip is called the Gotthard Panorama Express, but the panoramic train isn’t operating in the winter. https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express

You can however, follow the same route on regional trains. If I were you and the weather looked good, I’d buy a ticket to go right to Lugano. You’ll just need to buy a ticket from Sedrun to Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 17:01:15 #889778

Thanks Lucas ji ..I checked from return back from sedrun to Lucerne and till goschenen it’s same route back covered by tell pass, but from goschenen to Lugano to arth goldsu and back luzern incresae my return journey hours by 3 more hours ..so all in all 3 hours up journey from Lucerne to sedrun and return via Lugano app 6 hours journey be tough 10 hours journey including bus journey to/ from Hotel.

i wanted to know is Lugano sceneic site seeing through train journey so beautiful to further increase journey by 3 hrs?

Sir I rather interested to know any direct journey from Luzern to Sedrun, can get down at any place in between to visit that place,if so ch really deserve to break the journey…we are in our past 45 years couple, so that age factor also an important consideration for us….thanks and reagrds

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:55:16 #889779

>> luzerne to till sedrum … I wanted to know whether this is a good scenic visit if weather doesnt permit for mountain visit of luzern…and at this route, where we should get down to further explore any particular place nearby station

I did this trip (Luzern to Sedrun via Göschenen and Andermatt) one day when all the local mountains around Luzern were in the clouds.

I have written a trip report about it (with photos). If you are interested, you can read it here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-across-the-oberalppass-on-a-gloomy-day

There is also a description of the scenic sector from Wassen to Andermatt (including seating suggestions) in my post of Mar 12, 2018 – 3:23 AM a bit over halfway down on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/need-help-in-deciding-no-of-days-of-stp

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:59:19 #889780

Hi Lucas,

>> The train trip is called the Gotthard Panorama Express… I’d buy a ticket to go right to Lugano. You’ll just need to buy a ticket from Sedrun to Lugano.

Have another cup of coffee!

Sedrun is on the Glacier Express route, on the other side of the Oberalppass from Andermatt. It wouldn’t make any sense to go to Lugano from there!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 5:49:29 #889781

HAHA. I’m drinking it right now. 🙂

I more thought of having them stop in Andermatt/Göschenen and not go right to Sedrun and then continuing on to Lugano from there. But I did say Sedrun to Lugano! I guess I thought it in my head but didn’t write that down. 😉

I must admit Sedrun is a longer train trip to Andermatt than I thought! That will teach me to glance at Google Maps and not actually check the trip time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 10:21:16 #889782

Thanks Lucas and Alpenrose Sir, it seems Lucerne to Obralppass and stay some time there and back is the best option rather going till Sedrun……and i read some very good trip reporting on this line and specifically on the loop three times seeing white church and other scenic explanations were so beautyful ,looks like a video memory was going through my eyes…Thanks Alpenrose ji for the same….Lugano still seems very tiring even till Obralppass and hence, may be excluding return journey…

and now i think i am clear about the same route…thanks and regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 12:44:12 #889783

Oops! Deleted.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 13:07:40 #889784

>> it seems Lucerne to Obralppass and stay some time there and back is the best option

There’s a good chance of snow on the ground at the Oberalppass in late November, so make sure you have suitable footwear (waterproof, good grip) if you will be walking around there. You will also need to be warmly dressed of course.

In November, it’s also possible the restaurants at Oberalppass will be closed, as the summer season ends in late October, but the ski season doesn’t start until 7 December.

I seem to remember there is an enclosed waiting room (with toilets) at Oberalppass station though, if you needed somewhere to shelter out of the weather.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 16:20:16 #889785

Thanks Alpenrose Sir, you pointed out one aspect of suitable waterproof footwear ..unfortunately in our country we not used to too much snow situation and also as far away residing from Himalayas regions, very little knowledge of waterproof shoes..I identified one such shoes after a little research as Salomon fury 3 outdoor hiking and waterproof shoes with waterproof membrane soft shell….so, if this can be checked or found sufficient, we will go for such Salomon shoes only..

your this help in recognising us right shoes be of great help …thanks and regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 0:43:04 #889786

>> I identified one such shoes after a little research as Salomon fury 3 outdoor hiking and waterproof shoes with waterproof membrane soft shell….so, if this can be checked or found sufficient, we will go for such Salomon shoes

That looks like a suitable shoe if you get the waterproof version. Salomon is a reputable brand.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Lucerne in last week of November for 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.