Swiss Christmas markets in late Nov/early Dec

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 22:52:27 #822525

Hello!

Would love advice with my Switzerland itinerary. I am going the last week of November, and first week of December this year. I am aware a lot will be closed. Going at this time for Christmas Markets and hopefully some snow sightings 🙂 Going to Montreux mostly for the market, but I hear it is beautiful. Should I spend this much time there, or trade out for a day for a full day in Basel? Thank you for any and all help!

Switzerland itinerary idea

Get into Zurich Evening on N0vember 24

Evening November 24-27 Zurich (2 full days)
    November 27-29 Zermatt (1 full day)
    November 29- December 2 Lucerne (2 full days… or 1 full day and day trip to Interlaken and Grindelwald)
    December 2-5 Montreux (2 full days)
    December 5-6 Basel (half day) or full day and fly home from Basel
    December 6-7 Zurich (half day)

Thank you again for any ideas!

Some information about me if it helps

– I love snow

– I love Christmas

– I enjoy (easy) hikes

– I don’t eat meat, but I love cheese and love eating

– Nightlife is not important on this trip, but I enjoy dive bars and local pubs.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:10:27 #916361

That all looks fine to me.

Basel has some very pleasant architecture, narrow streets and Christmas market so I would do you ‘Basel’ plan if I were you

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 June 2019 at 8:32:06 #916362

Hi Rickilync,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! If the weather is good while in Montreux, then don’t skip the ride up to Rochers-de-Naye (http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye) to enjoy the views. Last year they had “Santa Claus’ house” there from 22 November, this year’s dates will probably be similar.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 17:44:21 #916363

Wow! Thank you for the quick responses! I will definitely look into an extra day in Basel and Rochers-de-Naye in Montreux.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2019 at 22:33:00 #916364

Hi Rickilync –

This may be useful. Perhaps you are already using it?

http://www.brunnvalla.ch/chri stmasmarkets/switzerla nd.html

Basel and Montreux are big and famous. Zürich has a nice one in the main station, as well as one at Bellevue that is more oriented toward food.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 18:40:10 #916365

Slowpoke-

Thank you so much! I did not have that link yet and it was much needed and appreciated!

• The thread ‘Swiss Christmas markets in late Nov/early Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.