Best Switzerland scenery in November?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 19:17:57 #813527

Hello !

I am planning to travel from Germany to Switzerland for 2-3 days. Unfortunately I would have to do it in November (most probably the week before the last week of November ). I was thinking of going to Interlaken and staying there and trying to go to mount Jungfrau from there . I am really interested in scenic view primarily but I do not mind some other alternates too (however I really hope to catch some snow). I do understand that November might not be my lucky month on scenic view so any advice on the place to be would be really helpful !

I did see a couple of posts about November travel but I wanted to post one myself to get more first hand details !

Thanks a ton for any kind of help you might extend !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2017 at 4:27:05 #871071

Hi DivyaSurya, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You will be able to visit the Jungfraujoch, as that train runs all year. There will be snow up there. It’s a good idea to go up on the first clear day, in case that turns out to be the only clear day while you are there.

You can check the webcam to see what conditions are like before buying a ticket to go up:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/webcams/

There is more information here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

The following other transport routes will be operating during the week 19-25 November:

• Gondola Grindelwald-First – reopens 25 November after maintenance closure
    • Funicular Interlaken-Harder Kulm – open until 26 November.
    • Cable car Wengen-Männlichen – will open just for the weekends of 18-19 November and 25-26 November if snow conditions happen to be good
    • Gondola Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen – will open just for the weekends of 18-19 November and 25-26 November if snow conditions happen to be good
    • Boats on Thunersee (Lake Thun) – one departure daily in each direction between Thun and Interlaken West

These transport routes will not be operating during the week 19-25 November:

• Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel

Trümmelbach Falls will also be closed.

There is a beautiful lookout in Wengen you might like to go to if the Lauterbrunnen Valley is clear of fog. It is about a 5-10-minute walk from Wengen station. Here are the directions:

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels (Dorfstrasse), past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, and uphill a bit past the Hotel Schönegg on the right and a chemist on the left. At the top of the hill, you will see a path on the left leading to the Swiss Protestant Church, where there is a lookout and seats. I have attached a map and a photo of the view from there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 19:27:42 #871072

Hi Alpenrose !

Thank you so so much for such details . It is very helpful and gave me comfort not to worry a lot. So based on this, over the week I now planned to start from Frankfurt and reach Interlaken on 23 November and start again from Interlaken on 27th November (found a couple of train options through GoEuro – suggested a train called DB : hope this is a good option). While there iInI Interlaken, have plan to go to Jungfrau on one of the day that is clear. And to Harder klim, Thun lake and Thun castle on another day. Followed by a trip to Brienz and take the Brienz To thorn Barn to catch some scenic view and get to a lake Brienz on the third day. I hope this itinerary would not be a bad idea to execute in November ?

P.s. would you suggest me to take an air bnb or hotel to stay ?:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 23:54:38 #871073

Hi DivyaSurya,

>> I now planned to start from Frankfurt and reach Interlaken on 23 November and start again from Interlaken on 27th November (found a couple of train options through GoEuro – suggested a train called DB : hope this is a good option).

DB stands for Deutsche Bahn, the German Railway company – it’s not a particular train.

You can plan your trip from Frankfurt to Interlaken Ost and back on the Deutsche Bahn website:

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1

If you book in advance, you can get cheaper fares, but there are conditions attached, so read them carefully.

>> Thun lake and Thun castle on another day.

In November, Schloss Thun (Thun Castle) is only open on Sundays from 1 pm–4 pm, so you could go there on 26 November.

http://www.schlossthun.ch/en/

There is information about the boat trip on the Thunersee (Lake Thun) on the page below. At the bottom left of the page is a link to the timetable. Make sure to choose the timetable for 6 Nov to 9 Dec.

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun

>> Followed by a trip to Brienz and take the Brienz To thorn Barn to catch some scenic view and get to a lake Brienz on the third day.

Boats will not be operating on the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz), but you can get there by train, and see the lake from the shore. You won’t be able to get up to the Brienzer Rothorn in November unfortunately: neither the train from Brienz nor the cable car from Sörenberg will be operating while you are there.

>> would you suggest me to take an air bnb or hotel to stay ?

Only you can decide what’s right for you 🙂

Before booking, make sure you are aware of where your preferred accommodation is in relation to transport, how frequent that transport is (including weekends if relevant), and what time the first and last services for the day are. Google Maps has railway stations and bus stops marked, and you can use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trips.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You can search for accommodation to suit your preferences here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 12:12:10 #871074

Hi Alpenrose !

We are all set for the trip thanks to your support ! I was researching on winter clothes and jackets to wear there along with shoes. Here back in India where it’s mostly hot for most part of the year I’m unable to get good shoes that can withstand snow and cold there. I was wondering if there would be places there that rent shoes on the day we go to the mountain. Any recommendations ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 3:24:40 #871075

Hi DivyaSurya,

>> I was researching on winter clothes and jackets to wear there along with shoes. Here back in India where it’s mostly hot for most part of the year I’m unable to get good shoes that can withstand snow and cold there. I was wondering if there would be places there that rent shoes on the day we go to the mountain.

There are shops that rent ski gear, but I would be surprised if they rented just hiking shoes.

While snow in November can’t be ruled out, especially at higher altitudes, it is likely the only snow you will encounter will be at the Jungfraujoch. Closed/lace-up leather shoes should be adequate for a short walk out onto the snow, as the snow on the plateau is groomed/compacted (you don’t sink into it), and it should be easy to keep your feet dry on the Sphinx viewing terrace as well, which has a metal-grille surface. When travelling in winter, it’s always good to have a spare pair of shoes in case they get wet though. Warm woollen socks are also a good idea.

I have attached some pictures of people walking on the plateau at the Jungfraujoch in December last year, as well as a picture of the surface of the Sphinx viewing terrace to give you an idea of what it will be like.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Best Switzerland scenery in November?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.