Switzerland itinerary for 9 days from 21 June 18

• Chiragaditi
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 May 2018 at 13:47:50 #815828

Hello, Firstly I would like to appreciate thee work done by MySwissAlps Team for quick info on your website. I am planning to travel Switzerland in mid of June,18 with my wife & toddler (21 months old). I am flying in & out from Zurich Flughafen. I will be reaching Zurich in Morning.

My Planned Itinerary is

Lucerne (04 Days): Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument, Lake Lucerne Cruise, Mount Titlis or Mount Pilatus, Mount Rigi, Swiss museum of transport & Evening Walk in Old Town area. Kindly do suggest if any addition or deletion required at Lucerne.

Interlaken (03 Days) from Lucerne on Golden Pass route, Lake Thun or Lake Breinz cruise, Trummelbach Falls, Jungfraujoch tour, Harder Kulm, Ballenberg open air museum. Kindly suggest if Ballenberg is good for toddlers to visit.

Day trip to Montreux from Interlaken OST on Golden Pass route visit Lake Geneva, Chill ion Castle, Swiss Vapeur Parc & overnight stay at Interlaken. Please suggest if this all is possible in day tour with toddler.

Zurich: (02 Days): Rhine Falls, Zurich Zoologischer Garten, Bahnhofstrasse. Kindly suggest if it worth is to visit Zoo in Zurich with toddler. I kept last 02 days in Zurich to take morning flight back to Qatar.

Please suggest if any modification can be done in itinerary to make it visit worth with family. Also suggest if I can add or remove places from above mentioned attractions.

Questions:

1. Can I visit to Matterhorn, Zermatt for a day from Lucerne? Is it suitable with toddler?

2. Can we choose between Mount Pilatus, Mount Titlis & Jungfraujoch? If we visit any one or two out of them?

3. I will be there for 09 days should I purchase Swiss travel pass for 08 days or half fare card?

4. Can we store luggage at Train Stations while travelling at Lucerne or Interlaken Stations?

5. Should I stay at Wengen or at Interlaken? I read people prefer to stay in Wengen as it is more beautiful & scenic. Can I do any short hiking trails from Wengen with toddler?

6. Which one is more suitable according to above itinerary Wengen/ Lauterbrunnen / Interlaken ?

Thanks Chirag

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 19:08:35 #884605

Hi Chirag, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

The activities planned for Lucerne are fine. I haven’t been to Ballenberg and I don’t have kids, but I don’t see a problem bringing your child.

Your daytrip to Montreux is a stretch. The return trip with the Golden Pass takes already 7 hours. See the Swiss railways timetable. I think kids love the zoo?

1. It is possible, but a long day. Use the timetable to plan your trip.
    2. That’s a very personal choice. They are all different. One is not better than the other.
    3. You should read how to choose a rail pass. If you don’t feel like doing the math, I would just buy the Swiss Travel Pass.
    4. Yes, Lucerne and Interlaken do have luggage storage facilities.
    5. I would stay in Wengen.
    6. They are all close together. If you stay in Interlaken you will save some time when traveling to Montreux and Zermatt. However, Interlaken isn’t that nice I have to say.
    Chiragaditi
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:07:19 #884606

Hi Chantal,

Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate that. I will take note about stay in Wengen. Probably i will cancel my plan for Zermatt, but will re-plan for Montreux. Also considering my itinerary do you suggest any additional beautiful sights which are not to be missed?

Another concern is for food, we are Vegetarians, do we have choice of vegetarian food easily available there?

Can you also suggest which place or town is good for shopping in terms of good deals for swiss chocolates & watches? Should i consider buying it from Zurich Airport while return or i can get good deals in town?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:39:23 #884607

Don’t buy chocolate at the airport! Much cheaper in the supermarkets!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:25:14 #884608

Most towns of reasonable size will have vegetarian restaurants or at least vegetarian options on the menu.

Chiragaditi
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 May 2018 at 16:58:06 #884609

Thanks to Maggie nd Lucas for sharing info. I am confused with swiss travel pass nd half fare card now. Since i have itinerary for 10 days travel. If i buy swiss travel pass for 8 days on day of arrival 21st June,18 as i m travelling to wengen from zurich airport. My last 02 days at zurich like 29th nd 30th June will not be covered for travelling around city and attractions. If i buy swiss travel card for 15 days that is not worth the price i will pay as i am not visiting all attractions and also my travel is only around Bernese oberland, Lucerne nd Zurich. I have done lot of calculations if i buy half fare card the price i pay is like 50 francs less than swiss travel pass but then i hav to purchase tickets everywhere which is also a hassle with toddler nd it will consume more time. Kindly suggest and help which one is more better and worth in case of my itinerary mentioned above. On 29th nd 30th i will be visiting Rhine falls & Zoo in Zurich. Can I club any other card for Zurich with Swiss travel pass which is less cheap or else i buy swiss half fare card for whole itinerary. Is buying tickets a hassle during June. Is this s peak season like in terms of crowd. Thanks plz help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:46:34 #884610

Hi Chiragaditi,

I agree the Swiss Travel Pass is much more convenient as it allows you to skip buying tickets for most (but not all) trips. It may be worth the cost over the Swiss Half Fare Card.

If you buy the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass then I’d probably use it for your 1st 8 days. Travel within Zurich can be done on foot mostly or perhaps one or two bus or tram trips which you can buy on the spot before boarding. Same with the Rheinfall – buying a point to point ticket is cheaper than using a day on your Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Switzerland itinerary for 9 days from 21 June 18’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.