Switzerland itinerary help – 10 days in mid-June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 13:32:02 #814168

Hi,

My parents will be travelling to Switzerland June 2018. I need some advise in planning their itinerary, travel, accommodation, things to do etc. Giving below their rough itinerary and thereafter my specific questions:-

June 19th – Arrive in Zurich and transfer to Geneva

June (19th -22nd) – 3 nights – Geneva

June (22 – 24) – 2 nights – Zermatt

June (24 – 27) – 3 nights- – Interlaken/ Grindelwald

June (27-29)- 2 nights – Lucerne

June 29th – depart from Zurich

I have the following queries:

1. Swiss travel Pass – Which travel pass is ideal for this 10 day trip? Can i buy the travel pass in advance and have it printed? How can i buy it?

2. Train time table – where can i check the train time – table for all internal travels in Switzerland?

3. Travel from Zurich international airport to Geneva on 19th June – With regard to this which are the relevant train stations in Zurich and Geneva (name of the stations)? In Zurich is the train station at the international airport? How do i get to the train station from the international airport? Is it a direct train from Zurich to Geneva or does it require to interchange and if so at which stations are the interchanges?

4. Accommodation – in all the towns i am looking for hotels/apartments which are walking distance from the train station. Any advise on how i can search for such accommodation?

5. Zermatt – Would like to visit the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. Where can i get information about this – train timings, what to do etc?

6. Interlaken train station – Will be travelling from Zermatt to Interlaken and later from Interlaken to Lucerne. Which is the relevant train station in Interlaken for both these journeys?

7. Grindelwald – Instead of Interlaken i might choose to stay in Grindelwald. Are there easy connections from Grindelwald to the following – Jungfrau/ Berne / Basel / Lake Thun / Lake Brienze, The Trummelbach falls ?

8. Lucerne – Will be travelling from Interlaken to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to Zurich – which is the relevant train station in Lucerne for both these trips?

9. Mount Titlis – How does one go to Mount Titlis from Lucerne?

10. Swiss Travel Pass – If I buy the travel pass does it cover the travel from Lucerne to Mount Titlis and from Interlaken/Grindelwald to Jungfrau? Further, are there any additional entrance charges required to be paid for entering these 2 mountain tops?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nupur

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 13:48:30 #875259

Hi nupur and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What makes your parents go to Geneva for 3 nights? It is quite far from Zurich and not a place first-time visitors usually make a priority to see.

1. Considering they are moving around the country so much the Swiss Travel Pass is probably your best bet. It can be bought for either 3, 4, 8 or 15 days only though. They could also look at the Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 8 days and use it on the 8 most expensive days of travel.

Yes you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here (not the Swiss Travel Pass Flex though) and have it emailed to you for printing at home.

2. Swiss railways timetable here.
    3. There is a train station at Zurich airport where they can board a train to Geneva. The timetable will give you all the relevant details – there are some direct trains while others will require a change, usually in Zurich main station. Geneva’s main station is called Cornavin.
    4. You can use our website to search for each town (top right search box) and for each town click on the hotels tab. We list accommodation and note how close to the train station they are.
    5. We have a page describing Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise here. Use the timetable to plan out the trips.
    6. The timetable will tell you which station you need to transfer at. Usually Interlaken Ost.
    7. Fairly easy – again the timetable will show you. Interlaken is easier – but Grindelwald is much prettier I think!
    8. It is just called Lucerne main station (Hauptbahnhof in German)
    9. That is described on our Mt. Titlis page – getting there.
    10. The Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t fully cover either trip. It is free to Engelberg from Lucerne and you get 50% off the rest of the trip to Mt. Titlis. From Interlaken it covers your trip to Grindelwald, from there you get a 25% discount on the ticket to Jungfraujoch – all details and a PDF map are on our Swiss Travel Pass page here.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 10:55:05 #875260

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpul! I have the following follow up questions:

1. Based on your recommendation we are thinking of omiting Geneva. So the new itinerary looks like this: 2 nights – Zermatt , 4 nights- – Interlaken/ Grindelwald, and 4 nights – Lucerne. What do you think?

2. Swiss travel Pass – I am not able to decide on which pass to buy. My parents will be using the Swiss rail system for 11 full days. (a) Which pass do you think will be suitable for them? (b) The Swiss Travel Pass Flex – in case we go for this, you mentioned that we cannot buy it online. Then how can one buy this pass? (c) Are there any discounts for senior citizens on th eSwiss travel passes – my father is 62 years and my mother is 57 years old.

3.Airport Luggage lockers – Are there any luggage lockers available at the Zurich airport or at the train station at the Zurich airport where one could leave their extra luggage for 11 days? If yes, where can i get information about the same? Do you have any idea about the charges?

4. Interlaken Vs Grindelwald – I understand that while Interlaken is very commercial , Grindelwald is very pretty. I would really like that my parents stay at Grindelwald. My only concern is that they are old and strictly vegetarian. Does Grindelwald have all the basic facilities like restaurants, pubs, grocery shops etc. Do you think they will be able to find vegetarian food options there. They will be staying in a hotel so will need to eat all the meals out.

Looking forward to your reply and really appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Nupur

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 15:47:10 #875261

Hi nupur,

1. Looks good to me
    2. You probably will base your decision on price? We have a page here that helps to choose you the best rail pass. You will have to plan out all your trips so you can compare passes and do the math. I think that the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days could be an option. This pass is only CHF 83,- more expensive than the one for 8 days. A point to point ticket from Zurich to Zermatt is around CHF 120,-. If you would add that on top of an 8 day pass, you will even spend more. You can purchase a Swiss Travel Pass Flex online, however, the tickets will be send to your home address. Unfortunately there are no discounts for senior citizens.
    3. You can find more details about luggage storage and service here. We also list links there to the Swiss railways website (SBB) where you can look up train stations services and search for the station you want information for. There are luggage storage options at Zurich main station and airport.
    4. Grindelwald is the largest village in the Jungfrau region and does have all the basic facilities. There are plenty of restaurants and I’m sure that your hotel can help with selecting the right ones. Most restaurants (if not all) will have a vegetarian dish on the menu.
  • The thread ‘Switzerland itinerary help – 10 days in mid-June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.