Interlaken to Zermatt on the Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2018 at 15:31:06 #818616

I’m travelling to Switzerland in May-19 (02May-11May).

Below is my itinerary so far have plan:-

Day 1 Zurich – Lucern

Day 2 – Day 5 Stay in Grindelwald for 4 nights

Day 6 from Interlaken to Zermatt

Stay 2 night in Zermatt

Day 8 from Zermatt to Milan

Day 10 end of the trip (Milan – Singapore)

For the journey from Interlaken to Zermatt in Day 6, my partner and I would like to experience with Glacier express.

Is it possible if we travel from Interlaken to Chur/Andermatt (by normal train), then from Chur/Andermatt take Glacier express to Zermatt? Is it possible to make it?

Your suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    7 October 2018 at 18:54:22 #897545

Hi Sy88, welcome to My Swiss Alps.

< Is it possible if we travel from Interlaken to Chur/Andermatt (by normal train), then from Chur/Andermatt take Glacier express to Zermatt? Is it possible to make it? >

Yes. For instance departure Interlaken 07:00, arrival Zermatt 17:14 (5:14 pm).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2018 at 23:58:14 #897546

@snowman, thanks for your reply.

So i should from Interlaken-Chur-Zermatt or Interlaken-Andermatt-Zermatt?

Which scenery is better? or travel time is shorter? Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2018 at 7:02:01 #897547

Hi Sy88,

Andermatt is closer to Interlaken and will reduce your travel time – but the section between Chur and Andermatt is often considered the best. If you have time for the full route I would do it.

You can read about the Glacier Express and how to do part of the route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

And you can use the Swiss Railways timetable to plan out the trips, find connections and see overall duration: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2018 at 23:08:52 #897548

Interlaken is by far not the best place to start if you want to visit the Glacier Express route. I would leave Grindelwald earlier and spend a night in Chur before taking the Chur – Zermatt train (which by the way doesn’t have to be on the supplement payable Glacier Express – you see the same scenery from the regional trains that travel the same route)

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Zermatt on the Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.