Rough Switzerland plan – Nov 23rd to Nov 30th

• Pruth
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 October 2017 at 4:16:41 #813414

Hello all:

I’m looking for some help in planning my travel to this beautiful country.

Here is the rough plan I have that I plan to execute but I’m facing a few hurdles and I’m hoping someone will help me overcome them.

NOTE: I plan on using the Swiss travel pass for my trip

First the plan:

23rd Nov: 8 am —– Arrive at Zurich airport

– travel to Neuchatel where we unload ourself and take a train to Bern and Lake thun. Come Back to Neuchatel for night.

24th Nov:

– Travel to Grindelwald -> Jungfrau ->Wengen -> Grindelwald – > Neuchatel. Night stay in Neuchatel

25th Nov:

-Neuchatel -> Engelberg -> Mt. Titlis -> St. Moritz. Stay at St moritz

26th Nov:

– We were planning on staying at St. Moritz and take the Glacier Express train to Zermatt. Here is the bummer we just figured out that Glacier express does not operate during the time we will be in the country.

I have a few questions for this problem:

1. Am I correct that there is no Galcier express during this time?

2. What is the alternative train to Zermatt with the best scenic route? Is St. Moritz to tirano to lugano to zermatt possible ?

3. Is there a reason the train does not operate during this time?

4. We also plan on using Golden pass express, and Wilhem tell express in remaining part of our journey, does these trains operate definitively during the dates we will be in the country? Also, do I need reservations on each of these trains? And, how do visit SBB website how do I know which of the train is one of these scenic trains, are there any identification codes that go with these trains?

5. Last question is, what is a standard view train v/s barrier-free view train?

Sorry if I do sound naive but I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my questions.

Sincerely,

Pruth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 October 2017 at 5:06:38 #870489

HI Pruth and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Q1. Am I correct that there is no Glacier Express during this time?

A1. Yes.

Q2a. What is the alternative train to Zermatt with the best scenic route?

A2a. There are regular trains which follow the Glacier Express Route. Use the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to check for trains from St Moritz to Zermatt via Filisur, Chur, Disentis/Müster (or Andermatt).

Q2b. Is St. Moritz to tirano to lugano to zermatt possible ?

A2b. Yes but it is a long way round and the Bernina Express Bus Tirano to Lugano does not run at that time of year so would need to take train Tirano to Milan then to Zermatt via Domodosola. Italian train Tirano to Domoodosola is not covered by your Swiss Travel Pass. Or you can go Milan (or Monza) to Göschenen then to Andermatt and pick up Glacier Express route there.

Q3. Is there a reason the train does not operate during this time?

A3. Break between Summer and Winter seasons?

Q4a. We also plan on using Golden pass express, and Wilhem tell express in remaining part of our journey, does these trains operate definitively during the dates we will be in the country?

A4a. Golden Pass Line trains do but William Tell (now renamed Gotthard Panorama Express) does not. It is summer only. You can take regular train on Lugano to Luzern route though if you go via Göschenen.

Q4b. Also, do I need reservations on each of these trains?

A4b. Not compulsory and probably not required at that time of year.

Q4c. And, how do visit SBB website how do I know which of the train is one of these scenic trains, are there any identification codes that go with these trains?

A4c. The Bernina Express is designated BEX, the Golden Pass (Zweisimmen to Montreux) is MOB on the timetable.

Q5. Last question is, what is a standard view train v/s barrier-free view train?

A4. If you mean panoramic versus regular trains then the difference is not as great as you would imagine. The Panoramic BEX is nice and so is Golden Pass.

Hope that helps.

By the way have you checked the timetable for your planned “Neuchatel -> Engelberg -> Mt. Titlis -> St. Moritz”. That’s a big day trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 11:55:48 #870490

Hi Pruth,

Yes, keep an eye on the train timetables! All your days are a bit too ambitious to me. A lot of time traveling on a train to get to your destinations.

Barrier-free might refer to the low floor trains that are wheelchair accessible as well…

Pruth
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 October 2017 at 4:06:36 #870491

Hello Rockoyster & Lucas:

Thank you so much for a detailed response.

I appreciate your response. I may have a few more questions and will get back to you guys if I need some more help!

Sincerely,

Pruth

• The thread ‘Rough Switzerland plan – Nov 23rd to Nov 30th’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.