Switzerland (& on to Venice) best train pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rockoyster
rockoyster
4014 posts
expert
Mar 23, 2018 - 5:33 AM in reply to Like2Travel
KCRJC
KCRJC
10 posts
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:40 PM in reply to rockoyster

Hmmm interesting. I hadn't looked into visiting the Schilthorn much but it seems like it could be a better/cheaper option than visiting Jungfrau. Are you saying that the complete trip from Lauterbrunnen to the top of the mountain would be free using the swiss pass or would we still have to pay for a portion of the leg up? It is was completely free this could be a super convincing reason for us to go with the swiss pass rather than the half-fare.

KCRJC
KCRJC
10 posts
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:43 PM

Was just looking to price the trip up to Schilthorn using the half-fare price using this website and it says that the "Ticket Stechelberg-Schilthorn return for holders of a valid Swiss Half Fare Card.is unavailable or sold out until Sep. 7, 2018 but you can purchase it for the full fare for $113 a person? I feel like I probably just need to research this one more to see.

KCRJC
KCRJC
10 posts
rockoyster
rockoyster
4014 posts
expert
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:52 PM in reply to KCRJC

Viator runs organised tours. I’d say that note is a marketing tactic.

For DIY pricing you want the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) bearing in mind that the first fare you see will normally be the half-fare rate and you'll need to double it to correctly work out savings.

And yes, the Swiss Travel Pass gets you to the top of Schilthorn for free from almost anywhere in Switzerland. 😎

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018