Switzerland – Paris Trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2015 at 3:39:34 #806963

Hi, I’m planning my honeymoon in April but I’m quite clueless on travel fees and passes. Hoping to get some guidance and advice here. Thanks!

My itinerary :

Day 1: Travel Zurich to Luzern
    Day 2: Luzern – Mt Rigi
    Day 3: Luzern – Mt Titlis
    Day 4: Travel Luzern to Interlaken
    Day 5: Interlaken – Schilthorn
    Day 6: Interlaken – Schynige Platte
    Day 7: Interlaken – Jungfraujoch
    Day 8: Travel Interlaken to Paris
    Day 9: Paris – Eiffel Tower / The Louve Museum
    Day 10: Paris – Disneyland
    Day 11: Free n Easy
    Day 12: Flight back

Since most of my Switzerland days are spent at 1 attraction/day, I was wondering if it made sense to get a swiss pass or not.

Another question is, what is the difference between Swiss Pass and France-Swiss Pass? And which is more useful for our trip?

Appreciate any ideas and tips on how to plan our travelling for the trip. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2015 at 20:08:27 #841967

Hi knoyu,

To learn how to find the pass that results in the lowest travel costs, please check this page. My guess is that an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is the best choice for you (the Swiss Pass no longer exists). On day 8, it also includes the train ride to Basel (the border) for free. You need to order a ticket from Basel to Paris along with your pass. The France-Switzerland Pass is explained here, but it does not make sense in your case because you have only planned a one way trip to Paris. A local pass for Paris may be convenient.

An alternative to look into is the Swiss Half Fare Card. In any case, do make sure you first have a doable itinerary before you start comparing passes. The Schynige Platte railway will not be operational until late May. The Schilthorn is closed for maintenance from April 20 to 24. Have some alternatives in mind (e.g. boat trips), because the mountain trips require good weather. All our attraction pages offer links to timetables, and there’s the national timetable too, containing schedules for nearly all public transport.

I hope this gets you started!

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2015 at 1:04:28 #841968

Thank you Arno for your useful tips and info!

I have a better idea how to go about the ticketing now.

I was planning to visit Schynige Platte on April 24. How can I get there if the Schynige Platte railway is not operational? Or is Schynige Platte also closed for now?

Thank you!

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 March 2015 at 8:52:00 #841969

Hello knoyu,

As far as I can see here the Schynige Platte Bahn will not be operational on April 24. You can hike up and down, but you will have to be in a very good condition and if there’s still snow (or if it’s still wet) it may be very hard or even undoable to get there, in my opinion. We hiked down a couple of times, but that was in the middle of summer…

Have a nice trip,

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2015 at 7:34:53 #841970

Hi Olga,

Thanks for your info. I didn’t know Schynige Platte and the railway is only open from late May til Oct every year.

A bit disappointed as we were looking forward to visiting the place, but guess I will just have to look for other places to visit.

We might plan Apr 24 – Jungfraujoch, Apr 25 – Bern (day trip), Apr 26 – Schilthorn
    Any other suggestions are welcome! May consider skipping Schilthorn as we will be visiting quite a few mountains already.

Cheers!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 March 2015 at 17:44:49 #841971

Hi knoyu,

Other suggestions can be found on the Bernese Oberland page.

• The thread ‘Switzerland – Paris Trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.