Switzerland quiz 11 – wo ist dieser Bahnhof?

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 April 2020 at 2:57:18 #825531

Where is this train station ? This is a bit tougher than the last three. I didn’t crop it too closely so that you can get an idea of the surrounding area. I’ll give a hint if nobody gets it right in the next 24 hours.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    26 April 2020 at 3:42:50 #932274

You’re just begging to get the subject line changed by a moderator aren’t you?

I don’t recognise that station but the bars on the lower windows are interesting. Is that to keep people out or the inmates in?

What was the inspiration for the design of the seconds hand on Swiss railway clocks? Asking for a friend.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 April 2020 at 5:06:58 #932275

<< You’re just begging to get the subject line changed by a moderator aren’t you? >> Definitely not ! I just thought I could add a little extra Swiss flavour and teach prospective visitors a little German. This is almost the same as “Wo ist der Bahnhof”, which people trying to find the local train station will find helpful to know. It may even impress the locals.

<< I don’t recognise that station but the bars on the lower windows are interesting. Is that to keep people out or the inmates in?>> This is not a prison and in actuality is one side of the Die Post (post office) and a kiosk attached to the Bahnhof. So yes, the bars would be to keep unwanted people out.

<< What was the inspiration for the design of the seconds hand on Swiss railway clocks? >> I am not sure about this but read that it was to symbolize the baton that a station master would raise to signal a train to depart. What I do know is that train station clocks in Switzerland supposedly re-synchronize each time that second hand gets up to the 12. I have one on my wall, a Mondaine SBB clock, but it is not a sweep-second one and it does nothing special at 12, it just ticks on. I will try to attach an animated gif that shows how the clocks pause (if necessary) when that second hand gets to 12. I once had a Swiss railway clock downloaded to my computer, which was fun.

Nope, I tried twice but the ani.gif does not attach. So I made a short video of the animated gif and uploaded it to YouTube. It will be public in about ten minutes from now at youtu.be/Bnhlq_xBvQ0. I just found a better video on YouTube: youtu.be/pr5wldILfbs.

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    26 April 2020 at 6:40:52 #932276

Thank you for the clock stuff Peterli. That “stop at the top” of the second hand gets me every time.

As far as the station is concerned the chain separating the two tracks is ringing a distant bell. But perhaps that feature is not so uncommon as I imagine.

Would I be wildly off track if I suggested somewhere in the Appenzell region? Or Emmenthal perhaps? Just fishing really.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 April 2020 at 8:17:05 #932277

You would not be off track if you were thinking about the “Appenzell region”.

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    27 April 2020 at 3:17:51 #932278

OK, I’ll go Gais but with a low degree of confidence.

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    27 April 2020 at 5:55:34 #932279

Cancel that Peterli. Changing my answer to Urnäsch. Went through there on the way to Säntis once. High degree of confidence in this answer because goo.gl/maps/NTqHgKP7e8c6GmpJ7.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2020 at 7:17:25 #932280

Hi Victoria –

You wrote –

<<“What was the inspiration for the design of the seconds hand on Swiss railway clocks? Asking for a friend.”>>

SwissInfo helps:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/design-anniversary_time-flies–iconic-swiss-railway-clock-turns-75/44690592

Here is similar information:

http://www.thelocal.ch/20140220/iconic-railway-clocks-lose-second-hand

I’m dredging the depths of my memory for this, but I believe that the pause is a design feature associated with the need to synchronize all of the railway clocks in Switzerland.

The story here matches what I have read elsewhere:

http://www.newlyswissed.com/swiss-railway-clock/

I frequently stay in Sumiswald and walk by the clock factory. If for some reason, you feel a need to look at it, I can recommend a stay and a meal at the Bären Sumiswald just a short walk from there:

http://www.baeren-sumiswald.ch/home

The Bären has been there quite a while, although it is far from the oldest inn in the Emmental.

For fans of Swiss literature, a look in the dining room will reveal the usual Stammtisch, which has a special fame of its own.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stammtisch

Jeremias Gotthelf gathered his impressions of the Emmental and the inhabitants at this particular table, while writing Die Schwarze Spinne. (The Black Spider.) So, it is sometimes called der Spinnentisch, the spider table.

Slowpoke

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    27 April 2020 at 23:04:26 #932281

Hello Slowpoke and thank you for the supplementary clock information (with bonus eating out guide).

I shall add Sumiswald to a future visit list – in the meanwhile I plan to install play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mondaine.mondainesbb&hl=en_NZ to help while away some self-isolation in minute by minute meditation.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 April 2020 at 17:40:38 #932282

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have had other things on my mind, one of which is how much I am going to continue contributing to this forum. So, yes, Urnäsch is the correct answer, and I must say that I am impressed. I have attached a map (as usual, c/o (or should I say “pinched from”) SwissTopo) locating Urnäsch, the Säntis, and the base station at Schwägalp.

Anybody interested in this corner of Switzerland should be sure to check these links: saentisbahn.ch/en/ and saentis.roundshot.com/ and also appenzellerland.ch/en/ and ostschweiz.ch/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2020 at 19:16:40 #932283

In future you need to conceal the logo part of the station name board as it was clearly not SBB nor BLS!

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    28 April 2020 at 22:45:36 #932284

Did you recognise the Appenzeller Bahnen logo on Peterli’s photo?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    29 April 2020 at 4:50:34 #932285

Hello. << In future you need to conceal the logo part of the station name board as it was clearly not SBB nor BLS! >> Well, I played (using Paint) with the right side of the board to make the Urnäsch part all blue and toyed with the idea of making the part on the left all red, but then decided to leave it as is to provide a tiny hint. I suspect that Victoria figured it was Urnäsch without trying to figure out what was on that left side. In any case, that you for the suggestion, and I will consider doing this if I figure that not doing so would make figuring the answer too easy.

Be sure to look at the attached photo of my SBB CFF FFS Wall Clock.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2020 at 7:33:52 #932286

<<“Be sure to look at the attached photo of my SBB CFF FFS Wall Clock.”>>

I need one of those. It is on my list!

Thanks,

Slowpoke

PS- maybe two….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2020 at 23:10:08 #932287

I have three Mondaine ‘Swiss railway’ clocks and a watch.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2020 at 23:49:08 #932288

<<I have three Mondaine ‘Swiss railway’ clocks and a watch.”>>

In the western colonies, we say “More is better.”

Do you keep them on UK time, or Swiss time?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 April 2020 at 1:23:27 #932289

<< I have three Mondaine ‘Swiss railway’ clocks and a watch. >> How come three ? Do they all work ? Do they run on batteries ? Do any of them have a sweep-second hand ? I had small Mondaine timepiece and it started to give me trouble, so I put it away. No idea where it is now. I have seen the real railway clocks at brocantes (Flohmärkte) in Switzerland, most recently au Landeron NE, but they are not cheap !

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 April 2020 at 1:27:28 #932290

<< In the western colonies, we say “More is better.” >> I must say that I do not agree with more being better, but it’s probably best not to introduce foreign values and politics into this forum.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 April 2020 at 10:00:26 #932291

<<” but it’s probably best not to introduce foreign values and politics into this forum.”>>

You are right. Attempts at humor often do not translate well.

Although, English is the official language of the Forum….and 1960man does live in the UK, I believe, so he is frequently exposed to English. Possibly, he may even be familiar with the American variations or distortions. 😉

In fact, the Forum rules request <<“Write in English only;”>>

Sometimes I wonder if the language used by those of us who live in the USA call “English” really qualifies. 😉

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    30 April 2020 at 16:00:28 #932292

Peterli – I for one appreciate your efforts to keep fellow MSA members entertained & engaged in Swiss travel despite the current travel restrictions. And I like the SBB-style wall clock too.

Slowpoke – I enjoyed your links to the background info on SBB railway clocks, that sent me off on another search for a bit too. First time I saw the second hand pause at the 12 o’clock position while waiting on the platform for a train, I was puzzled. Now I know why.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 April 2020 at 17:41:55 #932293

Hi Cabin Jon-

Thanks.

There is a whole lot of Switzerland….culture, politics, direct democracy, complex history….that the average tourist does not see.

If that interests you, you might pick up one of the Insight Guides to Switzerland. They update every few years, but the vintage is not critical.

If something fits, I try to slip in things that might be interesting and are evocative of those background details.

Peterli does a magnificent job of that.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Switzerland quiz 11 – wo ist dieser Bahnhof?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.