Switzerland tickets and itinerary advice

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 16, 2018 - 3:43 AM

Hello Experts,

I am traveling with my family (i.e., wife and parents) and decided upon an itinerary with the help of recommendations from myswissalps experts a couple of months back.

My itinerary:

May-5: Arrive in Lucerne at 5pm (from Zurich), rest up and do a little bit of sightseeing at Lucerne

May-6: Lucerne - Mt. Pilatus Golden Round trip

May-7: Lucerne - Mt. Rigi Majestic Round trip and Lucerne site seeing

May-8: Wengen + Interlaken - Local siteseeing

May-9: Wengen - Jungfrau excursion (Lautterbraunen's waterfall - Jungfrau - Klien - Scheidigg - Grindelwald)

May-10: Montreux and Zermatt - local site seeing

May-11: Zermatt - Gornergrat

May-12: Zermatt - Matterhorn and then back to Zurich

May-13: 7:45am flight from Zurich

Questions:

1. While revisiting my itinerary I realized that Matterhorn opens on May 12th and we had to switch our plans with Montreux (originally planned on May 12th). I wanted to check if my plan for May 12th is do-able i.e., Matterhorn in the morning and a 4 hour train journey to Zurich.

2. I wanted to confirm if none of the above excursions require advance booking?

3. It would give me a lot of confidence if you could confirm the following tickets are all that would be required and the prices looks roughly correct.

Ticket Prices:

Swiss Travel PASS (8 days) - $436

Mt. Pilatus Golden Round trip - $54

Jungfrau excursion - $146

Gornergrat - $50

Matterhorn - $51

Thanks in advance!

Last modified on Apr 16, 2018 - 3:45 AM by gamesteel
rockoyster
rockoyster
4014 posts
expert
Apr 16, 2018 - 7:09 AM in reply to gamesteel

1. I guess you mean Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (Klein Matterhorn)? If so doing that in the morning and getting back to Zurich is doable.

2. No advance bookings are needed.

3. I haven't done the currency conversion but if you are using US$ they look about right.

It's not clear where you are staying - I think Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt. Wengen to Zermatt via Montreux is a long day.

gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 16, 2018 - 4:21 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks rockoyster!

>>It's not clear where you are staying - I think Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt. Wengen to Zermatt via Montreux is a long day.

May-9: Staying in Wengen

May-10: Staying at Zermatt

We were planning to travel between Wengen and Zermatt (via Montreux). Do you see a concern with this plan? And will there be a place where we could drop our luggage at Montreux?

rockoyster
rockoyster
4014 posts
expert
Apr 16, 2018 - 8:46 PM in reply to gamesteel

Wengen to Zermatt is just over 7 hours straight through by that route. If you are OK with that it’s fine. You can leave bags in lockers at Montreux station if you plan to look around there.

Last modified on Apr 16, 2018 - 8:46 PM by rockoyster

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018