Switzerland to Italy - best rail pass option?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Feb 3, 2018 - 10:35 AM

Dear MySwissAlps.com experts, I had read close to 100 threads and still have queries, no one trip is the same as what I had planned I am afraid(pardon me if there were), kindly help tweak and advise my coming trip.

FEB 17 arrivied ZRH early morning, will spend the day/nite in ZRH itself(acclimatize time zone & seeing Zurich itself),

FEB 18 day trip to Lucern and back to ZRH/nite (any ‘must-see’ enroute besides JUST Lucern?)

FEB 19 St Moritz for a night (would like to take the earliest train, ideally the GEX or BEX), had book the suggested hotel (Romantik Hotel Muottas Muragl)

FEB 20 Milan ( ideally the BEX at any time, in no hurry to rush to Milan). I understand that in case I may have to forgo on either or both the EXpress train, the local train does have panaromic carriage, and cheaper too. This is the part here where I am stuck, I would definitely like to experience the iconic EXpress train, ideally one way GEX then BEX but perhaps due to winter schedule I may have to take local train? Into Milan(my base in IT) i understand Tirano, is border of both country and this is where I will have to take the Italian Regional Train.

Kindly please advise on what is the best train tickets to buy involving the 4 days in Switzerland and cross border into Italy, and would there be a combo rail pass that can be use when in Italy? FYI, will spend 04 nights in Italy before leaving Italy from MXP. Many thanks in advance for your help and advise, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Last modified on Feb 3, 2018 - 12:38 PM by Lucas
rockoyster
rockoyster
4022 posts
expert
Feb 4, 2018 - 1:43 AM in reply to Removed user

Hello etrachel and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have you considered going straight to Lucerne on arrival in Switzerland. It is only 1 hour from Zurich airport and a very nice city with lots to see and do.

From there you can take a train to Andermatt and connect with the Glacier Express to St Moritz. The GEX departs Andermatt 11:54. You need reservations on the GEX and you should make them ASAP at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en.

From St Moritz to Tirano you can catch an hourly Bernina Panorama Winter train (www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-panorama-winter) and book seats in a panorama coach. If you want to travel on the actual Bernina Express you can either cacth a regional train/bus to Pontresina and connect with the Bernina Express at 10:22am. There is also a direct St Moritz to Tirano Bernina Express departing 15:12. You can book here www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Any Swiss Travel Pass will only cover you within Swiss borders. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

If you are planning much travel in Italy the Eurail Select 2-country pass (www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass) may suit you better.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018