Best route Zurich to Interlaken & travel plans

Best route Zurich to Interlaken & travel plans

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Ajittipnis
Ajittipnis
5 posts
Jun 2, 2018 - 11:50 AM

We are planning our 15 days Switzerland only tour for next year, can you guide me the best train journey we should take from Zurich airport to Interlaken as Interlaken is our first halt and we will be travelling with heavy luggage. Also we will be utilising our 15 days swiss pass. we need to know the most scenic route from zurich to Interlaken using our swiss pass.

Also, I have prepared the itinerary for this tour, will you be able to help me on this for omission and addition of better places?

Day 1: ARR.ZURICH FROM BOMBAY

Zurich to Bern & Interlaken

Day 2: Mürren & Schilthorn

Day 3 : Jungfraujoch

Day 4: The Lauterbrunnen valley

Day 5: Interlaken to Brig

Day 6: Aletsch Glacier

Day 7: Zermatt & Gornergrat

Day 8: Grimsel Pass & Golden Pass

Day 9: Mount Rigi & boat trip

Day 10: Lucerne

Day 11: Pilatus Golden Round Trip

Day 12: Lucerne or Zurich

Day 13: Rhine Falls

Day 14: Zurich

Day 14: Zurich to Bombay India

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
Jun 2, 2018 - 4:14 PM in reply to Ajittipnis

Hi Ajittipnis and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The fast routes are given to you on the Swiss railways timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable
This would be to travel via Bern and take a little over 2 hours.

A more scenic route would be to travel via Lucerne and then travel on part of the Golden Pass route (this will take an extra hour but still only 1 change of trains).

Before we can offer too many suggestions, what month are you planning to travel and where are you staying? Are you staying in Interlaken and making day trips everywhere? It wasn't clear to me.

1960man
1960man
287 posts
top member
Jun 2, 2018 - 11:29 PM in reply to Ajittipnis

At Zurich Flughafen, you will need to get on a route IC8 service. Route IC8 is Romanshorn - Zurich Flughafen - Bern - Spiez - Brig. Trains leave Zurich Flughafen at xx.40 past each hour (eg 11.40)

To avoid changing at Bern, continue on the IC8 service as far as SPIEZ, then change into a train going towards Interlaken Ost.

At Interlaken Ost you change onto the BOB (Berner Oberland Bahn) narrow gauge train (bright blue and yellow livery). The BOB trains run as one train which splits at Zweilutschinen. Make sure you board the portion going to Grindelwald not the portion going to Lauterbrunnen!

Ajittipnis
Ajittipnis
5 posts
Jun 3, 2018 - 1:49 AM in reply to Lucas

Hi. Thanks for your prompt reply. In fact we have planned it from 15th march 2019 to 31st march 2019. Will be staying at Interlaken, Brig, Lucerne and Zurich.

Ajittipnis
Ajittipnis
5 posts
Jun 3, 2018 - 1:51 AM in reply to 1960man

Thanks 1960Man,

Travelholic6
Travelholic6
29 posts
Jun 3, 2018 - 6:22 AM in reply to Ajittipnis

Hi Ajit

As suggested by Lucas the fastest route is by Berne . That is the route we took last fortnite to head into Interlaken from Zurich .

But i personally do feel that the route via Luzern would be much better

1. Luzern station is on level terrain (all platforms at the same level) and easier to cart luggage around . In Berne you have to move the luggage down and up the ramp...and the lifts are the end of the platform . Logistically Luzern better for luggage movement

2. Luzern station has more convenient sit down restaurants ( a cafe /burger king etc) where you can replenish yourself

3. The platform at Luzern is at the street level...so you can step out and get some fresh air (while the Berne platforms are subterranean).

4. The journey from Luzern to Interlakken is much more scenic than the one from Berne .

5. There will enough space for luagge at end of each compartment , luagge racks and also in between seats . Luggage is not likely to be an issue in Swiss trains. The Golden Pass from Luzern to Interlakken is also well equipped to handle luggage .We had 4 large suitcases to move and there was no issue.

Lucas
Lucas
6329 posts
expert &
Jun 3, 2018 - 5:38 PM in reply to Ajittipnis

Ok, just so you know most hiking trails won't be available to you in March if that was something you wanted to do.

The mountains will still have quite a bit of snow - skiing is the main thing to do in March.
Also, the Grimsel Pass is not accessible.

Ajittipnis
Ajittipnis
5 posts
Jun 4, 2018 - 1:54 AM in reply to Travelholic6

Thanks Dear for your valuable inputs.

Ajittipnis
Ajittipnis
5 posts
Jun 4, 2018 - 1:55 AM in reply to Lucas

I would love Hiking but unfortunately it's not my cup of tea. LOL.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018